Thread: Floating line

Default Floating line

Hi guys . Going to to Nzl for a month over December and have got a solid 3 weeks of fishing . I have a blue floating line for my 6wt which is looking a bit ragged with bad memory ....so am looking for a new line and will take the other as a spare .

The question is whether or not a dark coloured line is a must or whether it will make it tough to mend etc... Interested to hear your thoughts .

I thought as possibilities .
    Airflo ridge clear / airflo ridge

Sci anglers shark wave

Airflo super dri

I like the super dri and use it in streams in the cape

Quote Originally Posted by Russdlh View Post
    Hi guys . Going to to Nzl for a month over December and have got a solid 3 weeks of fishing . I have a blue floating line for my 6wt which is looking a bit ragged with bad memory ....so am looking for a new line and will take the other as a spare .

The question is whether or not a dark coloured line is a must or whether it will make it tough to mend etc... Interested to hear your thoughts .

I thought as possibilities .
    Airflo ridge clear / airflo ridge

Sci anglers shark wave

Airflo super dri

I like the super dri and use it in streams in the cape
    i would go for either the Airflo Super Dri or a Sci Anglers GPX double taper. You won't have a problem mending a darker line although I think both the lines above are light in colour. It's brightly coloured lines you don't want to be using. Good luck and have fun!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Awesome thanks very much man sound good I can't wait

You doing N or S or both?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Whatever line you prefer will do the trick. But make sure it is a Weight Forward. As for colour. Olive or Pale Grey is the vogue although not absolutely necessary. I hope the fish are in a playful mood when you are on our rivers or streams. Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

I personally like the textured lines. They have a tendancy to float higher on the water because of their increased surface area, which has many advantages to me, less water disturbance on pickup being my number one benefit. But at the end of the day, its all a personal choice.
    Jax, why should it be a weight forward. Would a DT not be a better line for river work?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The weight Forward is needed because most often you are contending with Winds that make things a bit difficult if you only have Double Tapers. Not to say Double Tapers would not work. But personal experience makes it Weight Forward for me to turnover twelve to fifteen foot leaders. All I hope is that Russdlh has a great trip with fish rearranging the backing on his reel at regular intervals whatever line he chooses to use.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

I hear you.. probably a good choice. Question...what distance can one expect to be casting to fish in NZ and how long are the drifts that one can be expected to make?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    The weight Forward is needed because most often you are contending with Winds that make things a bit difficult if you only have Double Tapers. Not to say Double Tapers would not work. But personal experience makes it Weight Forward for me to turnover twelve to fifteen foot leaders. All I hope is that Russdlh has a great trip with fish rearranging the backing on his reel at regular intervals whatever line he chooses to use.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I hear you.. probably a good choice. Question...what distance can one expect to be casting to fish in NZ and how long are the drifts that one can be expected to make?
    www.vimeo.com has a number of videos on NZ that will answer that. Usually the casts are longish, and drifts too. Not so say you won't have the ridiculously opposite, as I have seen a guy take a 8lbs brown rigth under his rod tip.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett