Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dohiku hooks for yellows???

Default Dohiku hooks for yellows???

Yesterday for the first time I fished against someone, my first Vaal River champs match and I took my new fly box with. In my new fly box all of my flies are tied on Dohiku hook because I thought if I am gonna fish competition, then obviously all my flies need to be barbless, so I tied +- 300 new flies. To my suprise while fighting fish, not snagging the bottom I bent open six hooks losing six fish and literally costing me the day. I started to fish competitively to learn more and I said to myself my goal is to learn something new every time I fish. Well yesterday I learnt maybe Dohiku hooks are fine for small trout but when it comes to fishing for yellows they are the worst hooks I have ever used and I have used some crap hooks before.So today I need to go out and buy new hooks and retie a whole new fly box (luckily I like tying flies) with hooks that I can fish with confidence. Has anyone else had this experience with Dohiku hooks before or did I just get a bad batch?

Dohiku are fine, but with flies for Yellows in general you always want to find either the 2X or 4X heavy variants or a particular hook.

Light wire "Trout" hooks are a bad idea for SM in the rapids, especially when fishing competitively and minimizing time on the fight is essential.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Mark
    Hanak make ideal hooks for yellows
    StreamX, Wildly & Winelands FF stock them.
    Regards
    Craig

Just don't use the Hanak Superb jig hooks for yellows. It brings a whole new meaning to the term "straightened hook"
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

check out fulling mill hooks . they are the business

Quote Originally Posted by mark.f View Post
    yesterday I learnt maybe Dohiku hooks are the worst hooks I have ever used
    Good lesson to learn on your 1st outing then.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by mark.f View Post
    Yesterday for the first time I fished against someone, my first Vaal River champs match and I took my new fly box with. In my new fly box all of my flies are tied on Dohiku hook because I thought if I am gonna fish competition, then obviously all my flies need to be barbless, so I tied +- 300 new flies. To my suprise while fighting fish, not snagging the bottom I bent open six hooks losing six fish and literally costing me the day. I started to fish competitively to learn more and I said to myself my goal is to learn something new every time I fish. Well yesterday I learnt maybe Dohiku hooks are fine for small trout but when it comes to fishing for yellows they are the worst hooks I have ever used and I have used some crap hooks before.So today I need to go out and buy new hooks and retie a whole new fly box (luckily I like tying flies) with hooks that I can fish with confidence. Has anyone else had this experience with Dohiku hooks before or did I just get a bad batch?
    Mark - What MODEL Dohiku did you use for your nymphs? This makes a BIG difference.

I use the appropriate hooks for my fishing from Dohiku, Hanak, Hends, Knapek & Fulling Mill - but I have tested the hooks I use in great detail and know which model/sizes are good for both trout (river & stream), as well as smallmouth yellows.

The devil is in the details.

Gary
    Last edited by GGY; 10-11-14 at 05:00 PM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Mario, you a big fan of Dohiku hooks?

Gary I am not sure of the exact model hooks that I have cause when I buy hooks I take them out their packaging and put them in trays so I can't even check. When I started tying with Dohiku hooks I went on to a local web site and bough all the model Dohiku hooks they sold. Anyway I went and bought new hooks today made of a thicker wire to tie new flies for catching yellows in the Vaal and I will just keep the Dohiku hooks and flies for when I go target smaller fish, so good lesson learned this weekend.

I have had the same thing happen to me when fishing nymphs on dohiku 302 hooks. This was fishing for brown trout on the mooi river, susequently losing a good fish as a result, could have been a bad batch of hooks? Subsequently in the search for the best hook I have settled on hanak. I find they hold their points well, come in a great range of different sizes and I haven't had one bend open, despite catching decent size fish on small drys and nymphs. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast