Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dohiku hooks for yellows???

Quote Originally Posted by mark.f View Post
    Mario, you a big fan of Dohiku hooks?
    Jip, they make great hooks, but if you use thinwire hooks of any brand on the Vaal you'll be making a similar post quite soon.

To get back to my reply, it simply means better you had this issue on your 1st outing rather than later. Good lesson learnt early on.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Well I must admit I have been thinking about it and Dohiku are nice hooks I just used them for the wrong application, could be compared to fishing for LM yellows with a Sage One three weight and when fighting a big fish the rod breaks and I say Sage make k@k rods.

Well I must admit I have been thinking about it and Dohiku are nice hooks I just used them for the wrong application, could be compared to fishing for LM yellows with a Sage One three weight and when fighting a big fish the rod breaks and I say Sage make k@k rods.
    Plus the rod will be a k@k casting rod, as it could not cast the big bait fish pattern.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Gary made a thread/post quite a while ago with some hook brands and models suited to application. Damned if I can find it though. That's where I read about the Knapek large hooks he used for his streamers. Will keep looking.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Gary I am not sure of the exact model hooks that I have cause when I buy hooks I take them out their packaging and put them in trays so I can't even check. When I started tying with Dohiku hooks I went on to a local web site and bough all the model Dohiku hooks they sold. Anyway I went and bought new hooks today made of a thicker wire to tie new flies for catching yellows in the Vaal and I will just keep the Dohiku hooks and flies for when I go target smaller fish, so good lesson learned this weekend.
    Rookie mistake - you should always know what hook model you are using - I also repackage my hooks for my tying kit, but I label the trays.

While stream trout anglers may have no real problems with fine wire hooks on our waters, those that fish for SM need to pay more attention to the most important piece of your tackle.

I should mention that I know Milan Styk, the owner of Dohiku personally, and have had input in the design of a few of his latest hooks (not those you would have used on the Vaal).
    Dohiku make a number of different hook models:
    The 301 DRY fly (fine wire) and 302 NYMPH (standard wire) hooks look rather similar. In the normal sizes (10-16), the 301 is too light for SM, the 302 is generally fine.
    Of the standard Czech nymph (scud) hooks made by Dohiku, I can say that the HDG 644 model is lighter(thinner) than the HGD 611 model, which is reasonable for caddis patterns - a better choice would be the Claw C251 model also sold by Dohiku. I have no personal experience with the new HDG 645 model, so I cannot comment on those.
    If you were using Dohiku HDP Pupa hooks, I have found these generally too light for SM. The similar, up eye HDA 254 model is definitely too light for SM.
    The transverse-eye Dohiku HDJ Jig hooks are all fine from size 8-16 for the Vaal. The size 18 is too fine wire (this was a mistake in the manufacture process - it should have had a gauge thicker wire at least).

Glad you have come to that realisation yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Gary made a thread/post quite a while ago with some hook brands and models suited to application. Damned if I can find it though. That's where I read about the Knapek large hooks he used for his streamers. Will keep looking.
    Hmm - not sure if I have posted a detailed assessment. I know Gordon is going to do one and have offered to share my analysis/experiences with him.
    I have spent more time studying hooks than anyone I know - I buy/order hooks on my international travels, test them for mechanical strength (shank & bend), measure wire thickness using a tippet gauge, testing hook points etc. If I find a new/better hook, I replace all of my old ones with the improved model.

As a result, I have determined the "best" hooks for my purposes, being able to use then for both SM and trout, without having to tie specie-specific flies.
    Last edited by GGY; 11-11-14 at 08:42 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Is there someone that sells Hanak hooks in Gauteng or is it only the guys in the Cape that sell them?

What are Mouche hooks like? I see Urban flyfishers stocks them. https://www.facebook.com/MoucheFF?fref=nf
    Last edited by ed_cik; 11-11-14 at 10:02 AM.
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Hmm - not sure if I have posted a detailed assessment. I know Gordon is going to do one and have offered to share my analysis/experiences with him.
    Maybe a streamside discussion then? I do know you mentioned specific hooks to specific applications (might have been one-to-one).
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2