Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of the nymph.

With all the changes and evolutions of fly patterns and fly gear, it still baffles me ito how much fish have "evolved" in the past 30 years or so. Have they evolved to "deserve" all these changes at all?

What will happen in the next 30 years? Will they become totally uncatchable?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario
    Many years ago there was a Mainstay Cane advert.
    The slogan was " You can stay as you are, or you can change to Mainstay" or something to that extent.

At this past Nationals, I had a gentleman on my still water boat. He was about 70 years old, and experienced fly fisher in the "old/traditional ways" (Said with respect)
    He was enjoying the competition form the cameraderie aspect, the learning facet, and having a good time.
    I had a very good session on Lakensvlei, catching 12 fish in the 3 hours, all with techniques, learnt from competition exposure. He missed 2 fish.
    He said "I would have been happy with 12 fish for a weekend"

So all the changes/evolution of flies and techniques, makes us more effective/better fly fishers.
    I think that is the bottom line.
    You catch a bit more fish, more effective and every now and again, you have the ammo to catch fish in a bit more difficult conditions.
    there are still guys fishing with silk lines, bamboo rods and traditional flies. They catch their fish and they have joy and pleasure fishing that way.
    So the fish are not more "uncatchable", and all the modern rods, flies, lines and techniques are not the be all and end all.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    You catch a bit more fish, more effective and every now and again, you have the ammo to catch fish in a bit more difficult conditions.
    I think that sums it up very well.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Where does the Vladi worm fit in? Me thinks it comes before the czech nymphs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Where does the Vladi worm fit in? Me thinks it comes before the czech nymphs.
    Vladi is a Pole.
    Yip deep fast water that requrie heavy flies
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Yes Korrie I know that did you know he was a world champion at one stage? Did you also know that he coached Jeff Courier to a 3rd? I'm talking about evolution (your thread heading).....before fancy Czech/French Nymphs were tied and developed Vladi was drifting bend TMC's on the river bottom with a cheap ass hand line. :wink:
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-11-14 at 01:45 PM.

Last edited by dlampert; 12-11-14 at 02:44 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Yes Korrie I know that did you know he was a world champion at one stage? Did you also know that he coached Jeff Courier to a 3rd? I'm talking about evolution (your thread heading).....before fancy Czech/French Nymphs were tied and developed Vladi was drifting bend TMC's on the river bottom with a cheap ass hand line. :wink:

yes, I am aware of it.
    And that they use to fish the Vladi worm, only after rains, as the earthworms will climb out of the saturated soil, to prevent drowning, thus being washed down into the rivers.
    Korrie Broos

Not the fish that have evolved, but the fly tying techniques and trends that have evolved. Fly tying is as much about flyfishing as the fishing itself, and has developed into something of an art form, so it stands to reason that fly tying will advance in a similar way to advances in tackle, the availability of new materials, and the more widespread the different tying techniques become.. Like everything else, the internet has played a big part in this. 30 years ago it wasn't possible to see the variety of different flies from different people as it is today. Its technology driven, much the same as anything else. Probably the only thing that doesn't change with modern advances in fly fishing, are the fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    With all the changes and evolutions of fly patterns and fly gear, it still baffles me ito how much fish have "evolved" in the past 30 years or so. Have they evolved to "deserve" all these changes at all?

What will happen in the next 30 years? Will they become totally uncatchable?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast