Thread: Fulll intermediate or sink tip line???

Default Fulll intermediate or sink tip line???

Hi all.

I'm looking for a intermediate line for estuary leerie fishing.

I read a lot about sink tip lines with 15ft intermediate (1.5-2ips) tips on floating running lines. Like the concept but not sure which way to go.

Can anyone with experience on both give some advice please?

I just want to fish a meter or two under the surface.

If the sink tip line is the way to go, what lines would you recommend that is easily accessible in SA?

Thanks

I would go full inter as it seems to give you more direct contact and idea of where the fly is
    The sink tips I've used have been of the faster sinking variety so the inter may be different but they seemed to "kink " where they transition
    They have there uses like
    Weed beds that you want to cast over and not foul etc
    But it's very limited
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Blog Entries

I agree with damage. For estuary fishing you would want something that sinks evenly. I use sink tip lines here in kzn as I often fish off rock ledges and rock piers where the belly of the line would snag if it was to sink evenly.

The intermediate tips with floating may be useful for casting in into the wind as it would have a sort of shooting head and help keep the fly down a bit, but the floating line may cause you problems if there is a bit of current in instances where you fish a channel as it won't cut through the current as well as a intermediate line. Making the "kink" damage spoke about event worse.

Thats my 2c.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Thank you guys.

You make valid points.

Are there any 9wt intermediates that you would recommend for saltwater?

I'm about to go out and purchase a sink tip for my upcoming trip to VDK. The reason is that as we fish out the boat while drifting cliffs, steep banks etc, full sinkers and intermediates are a pain in the bum when you want to pick up the line and recast (I rarely fish the fly all the way back). We have been using floating lines with long leaders and heavy flies for this reason, but I'm keen to see if sink tips offer a better alternative when wanting to present flies 1.5-2 meters down close to the structure when the sun is high.

What brand are you looking at. I seem to struggle to get some brands as I shop mostly online.

Not sure yet, its going to need to be tropical proof as the weather prediction for VDK is 38-40 degrees next weekend

Love the RIO, Sci Angler lines and still don't mind a Cortland 444 if the price is right.