Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deal on Euro Nymph Outfit

Hi David... If you say its the same as using a standard fly line, then its not going to do the job for me. Im hoping it performs as a ESN leader. in other words a very long tapered mono. You cant ESN very well with a standard fly line. Also, Im not surprised it doesn't dry fly fish very well, its an ESN line, and dry doesn't come into that. Anyway, I have organised my line, and I cant wait to try it out. I must admit, Im sceptical, but open minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I have one. For our cape streams I cant say it makes any difference and it is pretty much the same as using a standard fly line. Get to a big river and it is very nice to have. you can fish very far away from yourself and still have pretty direct contact with your flies. The line is very supple and so is effectively an extension of the butt of your leader. If you really can't make up your mind lets go fish a day on the streams and you can borrow mine and make up your mind. My opinion is that it works very nicely for its intended purpose and is much nicer to use than a standard line. Only problem is you cannot fish dry with it which is potentially a limiting factor for comp in SA where the fish are pretty opportunistic and where you find yourself changing from dry to nymph often. I don't fish the vaal but I imagine it would be great for that and it is certainly extremely nice in eastern Europe.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre,

The line and vino are ready to be collected, thank you!

Not saying you don't know it, but what helped me immensely in terms of accuracy is the way George Daniel grips the fly rod. Great book by the way. Also standing with your upper body square to the intended target area. As an example, when Czech nymphing and you are at the end of the drift on the back, square up first with the target area on the next drift.

Also waiting for the flies to "bump" on the back before proceeding with the forward stroke, in general the stroke slows down quite a bit. See the attached image for the grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What I meant by saying its the same as using a standard fly line on the cape streams is for most of the fishing you will be doing on the cape streams it will make no difference using the euronymph line because of the size of the river. You can fish far away from yourself with a comp legal leader and there is usually no reason to have more than 1ft of fly line out your top eye, even if you are french nymphing or spanish nymphing whatever. It is very nice on big rivers where fishing far away from yourself has a new meaning. The line is very light and is a brilliant leader extension. You can fish very far away from yourself and having 3m of line out of the tip will not cause sag unlike a standard line. You keep direct contact even when fishing far from yourself.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    What I meant by saying its the same as using a standard fly line on the cape streams is for most of the fishing you will be doing on the cape streams it will make no difference using the euronymph line because of the size of the river. You can fish far away from yourself with a comp legal leader and there is usually no reason to have more than 1ft of fly line out your top eye, even if you are french nymphing or spanish nymphing whatever. It is very nice on big rivers where fishing far away from yourself has a new meaning. The line is very light and is a brilliant leader extension. You can fish very far away from yourself and having 3m of line out of the tip will not cause sag unlike a standard line. You keep direct contact even when fishing far from yourself.
    Hi David,

I understand what you say, but still believe the line offers quite an advantage, even on small streams. If you fish a comp legal leader, say at the max distance of 22', there will be fly line in the rod guides. With the rod being held at any nymphing angle, with that amount of leader out the guides the weight of the fly line will make the flies "fall back". With much less weight at the anglers "anchored" position, the flies are less interfered with and therefore can drift more naturally.

In my opinion the top Europeans are light years ahead when it comes to understanding and achieving natural drifts.

Take the technique of indicator nymphing for instance, which many of us used/still using. The #16 nymph is attached to a leader, is attached to a indicator, is attached to fly line drifting on different current speeds, is supposed to drift close to the bottom, much slower that the surface current....and still catches the odd fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Andre,

The line and vino are ready to be collected, thank you!

Not saying you don't know it, but what helped me immensely in terms of accuracy is the way George Daniel grips the fly rod. Great book by the way. Also standing with your upper body square to the intended target area. As an example, when Czech nymphing and you are at the end of the drift on the back, square up first with the target area on the next drift.

Also waiting for the flies to "bump" on the back before proceeding with the forward stroke, in general the stroke slows down quite a bit. See the attached image for the grip.
    Phillip
    The square up to a target helps, but adjusting your casting stroke makes the biggest difference. next time I am at your shop, I will show you a little technique change that works for me. It will improve the accuracy to 90% plus, landing the fly in a 15cm diameter spot.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi David,

I understand what you say, but still believe the line offers quite an advantage, even on small streams. If you fish a comp legal leader, say at the max distance of 22', there will be fly line in the rod guides. With the rod being held at any nymphing angle, with that amount of leader out the guides the weight of the fly line will make the flies "fall back". With much less weight at the anglers "anchored" position, the flies are less interfered with and therefore can drift more naturally.

In my opinion the top Europeans are light years ahead when it comes to understanding and achieving natural drifts.

Take the technique of indicator nymphing for instance, which many of us used/still using. The #16 nymph is attached to a leader, is attached to a indicator, is attached to fly line drifting on different current speeds, is supposed to drift close to the bottom, much slower that the surface current....and still catches the odd fish.
    Phillip
    you mention a natural drift.
    There is a big difference between a natural drift, with the correct drag, and a drift with the wrong drag.
    Lets have lunch at the restaurant, at your shop, and we chat about drag. Plus a bottle or 2 of wine.
    We might understand each others point of view better.

Keep an eye out for an article, in one of the magazines.
    Drag: Fact or fiction, friend or foe.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hi Korrie,

Getting you drift Lekker wyn hierinnie Winelands. Maybe other forumers can join also?

Cheerios

Hey Phillip...I believe my Euro line is there and waiting for me. I must swing by and collect. Apparently you are also holding my raffle prize.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Korrie,

Getting you drift Lekker wyn hierinnie Winelands. Maybe other forumers can join also?

Cheerios
    Im always keen for wine and some flytalk haha
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Hi Korrie,

Cheerios
    Kom ons reel 'n lekker middag ete/braai, nooi al die mense en dan kan ons 'n lekker gesels/kuier maak van die ete/braai, met so 'n glasie daarby sodat ons mekaar beter kan verstaan.
    Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast