Thread: Which floating line for a 9wt tiger/barbel set up?

Default Which floating line for a 9wt tiger/barbel set up?

I am looking for a new floating line for a 9 weight outfit and am keen to know what line you would all recommend of the latest batch that are out.

NB - The application will be mainly freshwater river fishing for tigers and barbel so the line needs to be able to cast heavy and bulky flies and poppers + popper/dropper set up.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

can't comment on the latest line's as i've not looked in a while, but the rio outbound can certainly throw a pretty big bass popper with no problems.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Look at your Airflo cold saltwater lines can handle most temperatures plus have heavy heads for easy delivery.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Why a cold water line?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Look at your Airflo cold saltwater lines can handle most temperatures plus have heavy heads for easy delivery.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

As you will be fishing warm water, look at the Rio Permit or Tarpon tapers which are built to throw bulky flies

Most cold water lines will perform okay in warm water/air.
    The problem arises when you fish off boats in the tropics - the deck baking in the sun can reach temperatures that are easily double or more than that of the tropical water you are fishing. That's when you end up with sticky limp spaghetti instead of a slick casting weapon

The Rio Outbound Shorts are quite heavy. Personally I'd fish a Rio OBS 8wt on a 9wt rod - I have a Rio OBS 9wt floating/intermediate and I don't like it on any of my four 9wt rods, two of which are stiff guns - but that's me, other people love them. I think you need to cast the OBS before committing - and definitely try it close, medium, and far.

I like the suggestion above of the Rio Tarpon - I had one (recently gave it to somebody on a tropical adventure) and I can say it's more versatile and behaves much more like what you'd expect from a proper fly line.

Rio Tarpon head weight is 330 grains - head length 39.5ft.
    Rio OBS head weight is 375 grains - head length 30ft.
    Rio Permit head weight 377grains - head length 47ft.

Bear in mind that the 9wt AFTMA spec is 240 +/- 10 for the first 30 feet - so you can see where I'm coming from with the OBS - it's close to 3 line weights heavier
    I haven't fished the Permit line yet - and based on its specification I probably won't like it - but I can see how it would carry a heavy crab fly out to a sight fishing target at 50 - 60ft rather well. Longer shots will be more challenging (unless you upgrade to a Sage Salt 9wt rod which is "optimised for todays heavier lines" )
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why a cold water line?
    Because it can handle temps under freezing point -5 to about 26'c and thus you fish the same line throughout the year. "Warm water" lines also get tacky you know...If Bryan only fishes during warmer months then yes look at the "warm water" lines but why limit yourself I ask?
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 09-12-14 at 02:36 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Bryan I know I mentioned to you I use Rio Clouser line and have found it can cast a popper dropper setup with ease.The line is a bit thicker than some other brands but with bulky heavy flies at long distances I personally find thicker lines easier to manage.The Rio coating also makes the line feel a bit harder and it certainly lasts with minimul cracking.
    The airflow 40+ or the likes could also be a very good choice

I actually have the Airflo 40+ currently on my 9wt but find it to be quite hard work and it is terrible at short (expected) to medium distances. You have to aerialise a lot of line to get it going. I know that that is probably by design but probably looking for something inbetween that and a regular line.

Will check the taper...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums