Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Western Cape streams...maybe Smalblaar, etc

Default Fishing Western Cape streams...maybe Smalblaar, etc

Hi Guys

I may be in Cape Town for a weekend on the 7th and 8th of July. Need to know, is it worth it to go fish the rivers right now, or are the Stillwaters better? What stillwaters can you guys recommend?
    I'll be in Stellenbosch that weekend.

Regards
    Mike

the CPS streams are closed at that time Mike, you'll probably need to head to Lakenvlei for some good stillwater fishing

else try the little Lourens in Somerset West
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    the CPS streams are closed at that time Mike, you'll probably need to head to Lakenvlei for some good stillwater fishing

else try the little Lourens in Somerset West
    "Little Lourens" sounds like a south African pro wrestler...

hahaha! indeed it does!

... but there are fish in there. take a 1wt or smaller and it'll be great
    the patient mental...

There are some rivers that are not CPS controlled and you could fish them e.g private section on the Hollsloot if thats what you might have in mind. But I generally would not fish as a river can turn real ugly with a bit of rain and this is our rainy season. But should you need some help dont hesitate to send me a P.M

I think I'll return in November or so to the rivers...I have the better half and the little one with me, so maybe I should go to a stillwater rather. Any good ones around Stellenbosch that has good ablution facilities (damn...always have to cater for the female needs.....)

Hi Michael
    Maybe with the family in tow, and being near Stellenbosch you can try the dams at Eikendal wine farm. The toilets are good, You can have some winetasting and there is a restaurant. Philip from Flywaters has a fly shop on the premises. Start there, earn some serious points with Mom and the next day shoot off to a hardcore venue if you need Philip can be contacted on 021 855 2646
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Hi Michael
    Maybe with the family in tow, and being near Stellenbosch you can try the dams at Eikendal wine farm. The toilets are good, You can have some winetasting and there is a restaurant. Philip from Flywaters has a fly shop on the premises. Start there, earn some serious points with Mom and the next day shoot off to a hardcore venue if you need Philip can be contacted on 021 855 2646
    Cheers
    Rols...shot thanks! Is this the Phillip from this fly talk forum as well? phillip@flytalk.co.za ?

I'll definitely give him a call...last time I was in the Cape, many years ago, i managed browns in the Witte and plenty rainbows in the Smallblaar...would love to go there again in Summer. (But alone...that kinda fishing requires serious dedication with no distractions like the cell going off and it's...."when are you coming back?")

Hi Michael

Yes it is Philip who started Fly Talk.

Let me know when you are here. I'm just down the road from Eikendal. Nice to meet up.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Rols...shot thanks! Is this the Phillip from this fly talk forum as well? phillip@flytalk.co.za ?

I'll definitely give him a call...last time I was in the Cape, many years ago, i managed browns in the Witte and plenty rainbows in the Smallblaar...would love to go there again in Summer. (But alone...that kinda fishing requires serious dedication with no distractions like the cell going off and it's...."when are you coming back?")

Ha ha

The cell going off..... I rem that!

Next time you are going up the elandspad where there is no reception.....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast