Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xplorer Rods and reels

Default Xplorer Rods and reels

Hallo

My local shop only stock Xplorer fly fishing equipment, I would like to know more about the xplorer rods and reels, this brand seems dirt cheap compared to the other Brands. Are they any good?

There is a 7.6 2-3 weight Xplorer classic rod and an xplorer 2-3 xpla reel for less than 2 k, are these okay? It is for mountain streams.

All fly fishing equi[pment is good, if it performs according to expectations. Explorer is a good local brand, manufactured and branded in the East, with reasonable local backup service, and for the price, not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    Hallo

My local shop only stock Xplorer fly fishing equipment, I would like to know more about the xplorer rods and reels, this brand seems dirt cheap compared to the other Brands. Are they any good?

There is a 7.6 2-3 weight Xplorer classic rod and an xplorer 2-3 xpla reel for less than 2 k, are these okay? It is for mountain streams.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hey Bauer,

As Andre says the xplorer rods is a good local rod with good backup. I fish the classic also although the 3/4 wt and I found that it protects fine tippet(7x) very well which helps for stream fishing.

Rather buy a good fly line, a dt 3wt, it will load the rod better for short casts required on streams. That way you also have two lines for the price of one as you can simply swap the line around once it starts to loose a bit of its lustre in time.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Howzit Chris, weird ****ing name you are using now:biggrin:

I use the Guide series 9 weight and had the tip broken the other day. Within a week I had a new tip and thought it was good service compared to 2 other brands that never even came back to be.
    The rod itself does a fine job and if your casting is up to scratch can deliver the entire fly line with 2 false casts. In this case I cast a cheap intermediate line and the rode loads and punches it effortlessly.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Hey Bauer,

As Andre says the xplorer rods is a good local rod with good backup. I fish the classic also although the 3/4 wt and I found that it protects fine tippet(7x) very well which helps for stream fishing.

Rather buy a good fly line, a dt 3wt, it will load the rod better for short casts required on streams. That way you also have two lines for the price of one as you can simply swap the line around once it starts to loose a bit of its lustre in time.
    Would you still recommend the Double Taper even though I am a beginner, is it more difficult to cast than wf?

I am the not so proud owner of a explorer xpc56 cassette reel. It has seen very little use and already the spool wobbles on the shaft. Next time I shall look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I am the not so proud owner of a explorer xpc56 cassette reel. It has seen very little use and already the spool wobbles on the shaft. Next time I shall look elsewhere.
    Send it back. I've been using 2 of these reels extensively for 8 years and they work well.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Who here is using xplorer fly lines?

I didn't even know that Explorer had lines. They are almost certainly re branded lines from a mass manufacturer, as Explorer do not manufacture any of their own products. I have no experience with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangepeacock View Post
    Who here is using xplorer fly lines?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast