Thread: Trout attacking nymph and dodging it at the last second

Default Trout attacking nymph and dodging it at the last second

Good DAy

I am very new at fly fishing, so this morning I was fishing a Agrrevator Nymph ( Olive with copperbeadhead), I was fishing from a high spot hidden in the shade, but I could see the fish clearly, on every cast in that pool, fish attacked the fly and just before it would eat it , they would dodge it and turn away quickly. I also managed 3 bites in that pool but not one stuck, like they were not really committing.

Why is that and what am I doing wrong.

When fishing unknown mountain streams, what patterns would you recommend?

When I scouted the pool, the fish were actively feeding on the surface, but they did not like my dry fly offering at all.

Please help

I managed 3 fish in running water with the same set-up.

Shhoooo....could probably write a book on the questions raised here. It could be any of a multitude of reasons.
    Where were you fishing?... lets try help you.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    Good DAy

I am very new at fly fishing, so this morning I was fishing a Agrrevator Nymph ( Olive with copperbeadhead), I was fishing from a high spot hidden in the shade, but I could see the fish clearly, on every cast in that pool, fish attacked the fly and just before it would eat it , they would dodge it and turn away quickly. I also managed 3 bites in that pool but not one stuck, like they were not really committing.
    Try a thinner tippet and/or smaller version of the fly and/or slower retrieve.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Just guessing, but maybe the three bites you had and did not stick was because you could see the fish, got too excited and struck too soon? What I would have tried if the fish were dodging my flies last second is, just before i thought the fish was going to turn I would lift the rod to get the flies to move quickly and hopefully cause the fish to bite out of reaction. Like I say, I'm just guessing.

It does happen where the trout sometimes come and inspect the fly, and then refuse it. I have seen them do this to floating debris in the water, like leaves and sticks. It also could have something to do with unnatural drift, of the trout simply not being fooled into believing it is food. Its unlikely to be the fault of the fly alone, but I would guess more to do with technique.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Guys, makes sense, I was using a 7,9 lb . tippet, I will be going down to about 4 lb. What flies do recommend I try?