Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Less is more

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I for one would be most gratefull for help in casting big flies! Every time I try and cast a MSP or Muddler the damn thing does a nose dive half way through the forward cast. Loose the fly and I'm casting 20+ m again, same rod, line and leader/tippet combination!
    What am I doing wrong
    Everything Herman!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Seriously though, try shortening your leader when using heavy weighted nymphs. There was a stage where i was fishing a lot of stillwaters and often needed to get my fly down, so I would couple two or three spit shot to the tippet knot. You have to use a quicker than normal action for this though, and a soft rod is going to stuff you up completely. My medium action Sage does the job effectively enough, but a faster tip action rod is the way to go.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I tried to get it down in my earlier post, and typed out a whole page, but when I went back and read through it, I couldn’t even figure it out. It really is a complex topic and I think it might need a devoted section on the forum. Infact, it needs to be in a good couple of sections.

1. Casting – including standard, roll, short arm, flipping, arrow, double hauls, no false casts, etc.
    2. Presentation – including, pile, wiggle, heap, leaver, hell this could be a long list.
    3. Mending – including short arm, extended, distance, presentation mends, hell, an even longer list.

But the short answer to the initial question is simply, go back to basics, keep it between 11-1, short and sharp movements and let the rod do the work, and remember a presentation cast is the same as any other cast.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Chris

Please read the chapter on casting in Schweibert's "TROUT". All info is in there. Then you can really help these guys with helpful tips etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Chris

Please read the chapter on casting in Schweibert's "TROUT". All info is in there. Then you can really help these guys with helpful tips etc.
    hehe Neil, you are a hard taskmaster! I'll extract what I can and relate it in due course. I agree, Schiebert not only knew what he was talking about, but had a way with words that kinda cuts through all the crap. Let's see what we can learn from him.

Chris

If you're having troubles with your casting I'll send you a dvd of me casting on the little blackfoot - should help you

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    Chris

If you're having troubles with your casting I'll send you a dvd of me casting on the little blackfoot - should help you
    I think you have just persuaded me to convert back to barbed flies when I get to fish with you. I cant guarantee that my casts will be aimed at the fish though

Joan Wulff has a rather impressive and effetive way of explaining the fly cast in words, and there can be fewer more graceful and fluid weilders of the wand out there....
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2