Thread: Xplorer Pro cast 2/3 7ft6 vs Xplorer Classic 2 2/3 wt 7ft6

Default Xplorer Pro cast 2/3 7ft6 vs Xplorer Classic 2 2/3 wt 7ft6

Good day
    I narrowed my choices down to these two rods, I thaught I would just buy the classic because it is more expensive thinking it would obviously be better but the Pro cast and Classic in the same length and weight class has two totally different actions.

The classic two is very stiff compared to the pro cast, since this is going to be my new stream rod, which would suit the style of fishing better, I will be using DT line.

Please advise, o yess The Classiv TWo is about R 300 more expensive than the pro cast.

Thanks

What are you going to do with the rod?....in other words, your application on rivers, short or long casting, dry, nymphing, rod weight is good for streams, length is far too short, but your technique is going to dictate your rod choice to a large extent
    Remember that these are both low end entry level cheapies, so you not going to find any kind of performance report that compares them to any other brand.. However, Explore is a well respected local brand, so you should get reasonable support should the rod break, just make sure you go through a decent dealer, as some tackle dealers are really bad when is comes to after sales support.
    Last edited by Andre; 28-01-15 at 09:44 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It will be used for small stream trout, mostly dry flies

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Remember that these are both low end entry level cheapies,
    It is all relative to your financial status.
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

Yes, I agree, you buy what you can afford, but still doesn't change the fact that they are low end cheapies, and fly rods, as with most things, you get what you pay for, so it isn't advisable to expect too much from these rods. They will do the job, but that's about it. There's nothing special about them, as they are very mediochre rods, and I would go so far as to say, that you probably not going to find many experienced fly fishermen, with discerning tackle requirements who would give them a second glance, let alone choose them as their first choice, go to rods. There are others in a similar price bracket that are far superior. Anyway that's my opinion... but what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    It is all relative to your financial status.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Although the procast will catch you fish i think you can certanly do a bit better.
    The classic is definately a bit too fast for you application.The guide series of rods are really nice and maybe if you shop around you can get one for the classic price.
    Then also look at the stealth start range.Not sure if they still make them maybe under another name.
    I have an old daiwa 4wt i sometimes still use and let me tell you for the R400 i paid its an absolute gem.
    MAybe look at places like sollys,mias etc. that might have a few other cheap brands.Just go feel a few before you just jump in and buy

Hi another option for a decent dry fly rod in a 3 weight is the Stealth Deep Red.

I thought that at a R 1000 the Xplorer Classic 2 should be a decent rod for a beginner????!!!

My first rod was a xplorer classic and its one of my few rods that I have never broken and I have caught many fish with it. Xplorer is a perfectly decent beginners brand and if you get a rod you can fish it with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    I thought that at a R 1000 the Xplorer Classic 2 should be a decent rod for a beginner????!!!
    Fly fishing is an expensive hobby
    My first rod was a Xplorer Classic 2 2/3wt and I found very quickly that it was far too short for most circumstances and the bladdy tip kept on flying off while casting. Eventually I pushed it back to hard due to frustration and it got stuck for about 3 weeks... I agree with izak in that it probably wont break and its not bad for a beginner but if you can rather save up a bit and get something half decent. Im currently using an infinity 10ft 3wt and loving it.
    Regards,
    Leonardo