Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the issue with trawling for trout in dams?

1. Default

And the there are all the numerous website trollers.

When I started fly fishing as a youngster there was almost no info available. Apart from Michael Solomons and Flip Jouberts general fishing in SA books, trying to explain fly casting with text, pencil sketch images, no websites, no fly fishing magazines etc.

My dad dropped me off at Lakeside, Magoebaskloof, with the blue canoe. I couldn't cast, so I just fed out some line and trolled. Mostly with a Red Setter, Conemara Black or an Invicta. I paddled backwards with the rod between my legs and when the reel screamed I dropped the paddles and caught many a trout in this manner.

I believe there are three reasons, why this is so/relatively effective.

- The fly moves constantly.
    - The fly often changes direction (just look at your rod tip), whether on a tube or boat, side to side.
    - The fly regularly changes speed, when rowing vs not rowing, when kicking vs not kicking.

Then I started fly fishing for barbel in Harties in the early 90's, MC Coetzer introduced me while we were both waitering while studying. Uncle Louis van der Westhuizen had a retrieve to mimic a more constant, flowing movement. A longish, slow strip with the left hand (right handed caster), at the same time moving/extending the rod hand forward, when the right arm is extended grip the line against the rod and pull it back, when in the starting position, repeat the motion. Hope this makes as much sense as the old fishing books Then you can twitch and move the rod also.

A retrieve I have become very confident in, which is also constant and always in touch with the fly, is a slow, steady handtwist.

Personally, I have no problem if someone trolls a fly, as long as this is not all they do, if so, there's much they miss out on.
    Last edited by Winelands Fly Fishing; 28-01-15 at 07:58 PM.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    . Mostly with a Red Setter,
    The amount of Trout I've caught on a trolled Red Setter in Lake Naverone is criminal.... especially an old beat up one... the more beat up the better!!

I started my "flyfishing" aged 4 with an old KP (Scarborough)reel rigged on an old glass bass rod ( bright red ) with a couple split shot pinched a metre or two ahead of a Red Setter trolled out the back while my Dad rowed us around the dam... absolutely smashed the fish.... didn't take me long to then graduate to a "proper" fly rod and learn to cast, but those first few missions with my old KP spinning in my little 4 year old hands whenever I got a strike instilled an early love of "flyfishing" in me...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Good reply philip, you have made some good points there about the retrieve... Ive searched the net for good instructions on the handtwist retrieve but cant find a simple demo or instructions

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    The amount of Trout I've caught on a trolled Red Setter in Lake Naverone is criminal.... especially an old beat up one... the more beat up the better!!

I started my "flyfishing" aged 4 with an old KP (Scarborough)reel rigged on an old glass bass rod ( bright red ) with a couple split shot pinched a metre or two ahead of a Red Setter trolled out the back while my Dad rowed us around the dam... absolutely smashed the fish.... didn't take me long to then graduate to a "proper" fly rod and learn to cast, but those first few missions with my old KP spinning in my little 4 year old hands whenever I got a strike instilled an early love of "flyfishing" in me...
    That's great Andre - nothing wrong with that. Know those KP's well!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Good reply philip, you have made some good points there about the retrieve... Ive searched the net for good instructions on the handtwist retrieve but cant find a simple demo or instructions
    Hi Ryan,

Will look at what I can do ito video/pics.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12