Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basic wet/nymph patterns for Kzn stillwaters?

Default Basic wet/nymph patterns for Kzn stillwaters?

Hi guys
    Im onto my fifth fly box now of stillwater flies(wets).Ive definately overthough the trouts diet.This year i want to go minimalist and have one wet/nymph box.

Here is what im thinking about putting in my one stillwater box:

Papa roaches in olive,black & brown ( # 8 & 12's) - Dragonfly imitation
    Red eyed damsel (# 8 & 12's) - Damselfly imitation
    San Juan Worms (# 10 & 14's) - Bloodworm imitation
    Buzzers( not sure about good pattern here) (# 14 & 16's) - Buzzer imitation
    GRHE or PTn ( #12 & 14's) - Mayfly imitation
    Black & Olive Wooly Buggers (#8 & 10's) - Attractors/searching

As far as i can see this would cover 90% of the trouts subsurface diet.
    I would like suggestions on what to add/delete or change in this collection?

Suggestions welcome

I will definitely make some space for something orange/peach in there. Like a zonker or jig type bugger, maybe a blobby or two and a white death. And then of course Viva tadpoles and Pyramid Lake tadpoles.

I would add a bit more brown to your list - maybe Brown Woolly bugger, and also probably a Pancora Woolly bugger to add a bit of colour which is sometimes necessary. Both of these have been good takers for me in KZN stillwaters.

Since you live in KZN, i would also add Mrs Simpsons and Hamills Killers to my box. they are the DDD of the Subsurface fly (Deadly Deadly Deadly!). My father will pretty much only fish with a Hamills killer, and he consistently catches fish in any KZN stillwater that he fishes. I refuse to carry either of these flies because i find them a B*tch to tie and dont want to buy them, but whenever i fish with my dad i Realise how much it is to my own detriment that i omit them from my fly box. In th cape they are both useless, but up there, omit them from your box at your peril.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    I will definitely make some space for something orange/peach in there. Like a zonker or jig type bugger, maybe a blobby or two and a white death. And then of course Viva tadpoles and Pyramid Lake tadpoles.
    Ok,so maybe a wooly bugger with an orange bead?
    What is a blobby,i have no idea?
    Where can i get tying instructions on these viva tadpoles/pyramid lake taddies?

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I would add a bit more brown to your list - maybe Brown Woolly bugger, and also probably a Pancora Woolly bugger to add a bit of colour which is sometimes necessary. Both of these have been good takers for me in KZN stillwaters.

Since you live in KZN, i would also add Mrs Simpsons and Hamills Killers to my box. they are the DDD of the Subsurface fly (Deadly Deadly Deadly!). My father will pretty much only fish with a Hamills killer, and he consistently catches fish in any KZN stillwater that he fishes. I refuse to carry either of these flies because i find them a B*tch to tie and dont want to buy them, but whenever i fish with my dad i Realise how much it is to my own detriment that i omit them from my fly box. In th cape they are both useless, but up there, omit them from your box at your peril.
    Ok i do have simpsons and hamills but never use them.What is the best line to use and what retrieve would you recommend?

my most succesful flies around kamberg in the last year, in no particular order.
    copper john and red eye damsel on the floating line.
    cats whiskers (orange and white) and booby (in olive and black respectively) on the sinking line
    catch and release

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Ok,so maybe a wooly bugger with an orange bead?
    What is a blobby,i have no idea?
    Where can i get tying instructions on these viva tadpoles/pyramid lake taddies?
    A blob, either a Fritz or CDC version, however, I know these are not the best for KZN stillwaters, forgot about the KZN in your thread heading. Consider an Orange Death in a #12. Also as Grant mentioned a Pancora Bugger.

I will do an SBS on the Pyramid Lake tadpole soon, sure you will find something on the internet. You will also find Viva tadpoles, a UK wet pattern, we use a somewhat different beaded version. Thinking of, a Montana nymph is also a great fly. A brown bugger, with peacock body and red flash can also be a great fly on the right day.

We fished one of the Wildfly stillwaters some years back, a big lake up in the mountains, can't remember the name. The buzzer shucks in the shallows were more a #10, so maybe carry a few bigger buzzers.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    We fished one of the Wildfly stillwaters some years back, a big lake up in the mountains, can't remember the name. The buzzer shucks in the shallows were more a #10, so maybe carry a few bigger buzzers.
    can you recommend a good all round buzzer pattern?

I like Spanflex buzzers in Black, Olive, Claret - http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/639325-post1.html Scroll down on the page.

Cover with a UV resin. An all red version (bloodworm) can also be deadly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast