Thread: Backing to tippet set-up for small streams, advice needed

Default Backing to tippet set-up for small streams, advice needed

Good Day

I will be getting a 2/3 wt 7'6 rod and 2/3 wt reel soon , it is for small stream trout fishing.

Please assist me in the following;

Which Backing ? 50yrds 20lb?
    Which line? 2 wt dt or wf
    Which leader/leader length
    Which tippet/tippet length

I also hear people boiling leaders etc etc.

For small stream trout can I use a braided loop to connect fly line with leader or is it not advised?
    Do I connect leader to tippet with loop to loop

Please assist a beginner

Hi BM,

Darryl Lampert on the Forum referred me to the following leader formula:

9Ft 4 X Tapered Leader - Tie A Perfection loop - 3Ft 5x Tippet - 3Ft 6x Tippet. Works fine for Dry Fly Fishing & Basic Upstream Nymphing with an Indicator.

It works perfect if you are like me a weekend warrior and just want to learn and enjoy because of the Loop in the leader you wont need to chop and change too much.

The Guys at Winelands also sell 12Ft 5X leader, this also works pretty well, just add a few feet of 6x and you will be sorted.

Remember if you are just starting, try to simplify things otherwise you are not going to enjoy your first few forays on your own.

Figure out your tackle first and learn to cast, that takes up enough time in the beginning without having still to worry about the 8 knots in your handtied leader. If you plan on using a Braided loop, take of the plastic tube thingy off and rather use tying thread or something similiar, and using that connect the loop to your flyline, finish of with some tying cement/superglue and the connection will hold and will be a lot smoother going through the guides.

Otherwise a needle nail knot will also work pretty well.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Also on a different note, consider getting a guide for a day with some few casting lessons beforehand.

I am stubborn on these things and believe me my casting sucks and it has caused me a lot of frustration
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

For years, I used a braided loop on my fly lines, and on the heavier lines, I still use a braided loop.
    On the light weight rods, I do one of 2 ways.
    The Pascal Cognard way, or an alternative is the Said Yahaiou way, that he showed me.
    Much easier thru the guides. both these methods
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Ryan said you spoke to him. Let me know when you will be coming in and all of the above will become much clearer.

Best Regards,

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Bauermn View Post
    Good Day

I will be getting a 2/3 wt 7'6 rod and 2/3 wt reel soon , it is for small stream trout fishing.

Please assist me in the following;

Which Backing ? 50yrds 20lb?
    Which line? 2 wt dt or wf
    Which leader/leader length
    Which tippet/tippet length

I also hear people boiling leaders etc etc.

For small stream trout can I use a braided loop to connect fly line with leader or is it not advised?
    Do I connect leader to tippet with loop to loop

Please assist a beginner
    8 1/2-9ft 3wt would be a FAR better option than a too short, potentially too light 2/3 wt.
    Reel needs to be suitable for a 3wt line + backing to fill the reel to 3-5mm from the spool edge. Just make sure you don't get a too small reel, which will coil your line. I prefer a bigger 3/4 or 4-6wt reel on my 3wts to a designated "2/3" reel. NOT ALL (CHEAP) REELS ARE CREATED EQUAL, NOR MARKED CORRECTLY.
    Profile of many WF lines over the 1st 10m are the same as a DT, so often this does not make too much of a difference - DT can be swopped around once old, so you get more life out of the line.

Start simply with a 9ft 4X tapered leader, which you can cut the BUTT back 1-2ft if required. As a beginner, it is easier to get a welded loop fly line and loop-to-loop the leader onto the line. Add 3-5ft 6X to the 4X front of the leader. This should give you a decent ~12ft leader, which will cover most small stream dry applications.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins