Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coq de leon alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    who stocks organza?
    Fabric shops - you generally can buy sample lengths (~25cm long by however wide the fabric roll is) for not much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    On most of my nymphs, I prefer a stiffer hackled tail, but it depends on the day you fish the nymph, then the stiffer hackles can assist with the "movement" of the nymph in the water column. compare it to a dolphin with or without a tail or a paralyzed tail
    I prefer that the tail does not affect the nymph sink rate by being stiff and adding to the drag on the fly. The softer organza moves more like the tail of the natural than stiffer fibres.
    Personal opinion I guess.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Yes presicely, that's why I use sable hair if Im using artists paint brush. Its the only paint brush hair that's anywhere near worthwhile for nymph tails. Still not as good as CDL though, but a reasonable second choice. Cant speak for organza, never used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    While they work well on dry flies, which require support in the meniscus, I personally find CDL/paint brush tails too stiff for nymphs, and prefer the softer organza.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Fibbets for life - can mottle with a permanent marker if you wish.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Tried these...too stiff for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

Fibbets for life - can mottle with a permanent marker if you wish.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

saflyfish; You can get Organza from most Ladies Dress Material shops. Just ask to see their Organza Colour Swatches, and with any luck they will have some out of date Swatches they may let you have. Good Luck.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Tried these...too stiff for me.
    Perfect for dry flies.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I would say adequate, not perfect, but that's my opinion, however for nymphs, I prefer a softer material option. Even some "poorer quality" CDL isn't exacly perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Perfect for dry flies.

Luckily I have family in Spain and when my wife visits she buys 2nd grade CDL for 2-3 Euros for a packet of 12 feathers. First grade is double that in Spain but there was a shortage last year due to disease and a lot of livestock was put down according to the fly shop in Zaragoza.

White death are you a lucky guy :wink:
    Grts,

Gino V.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Flyfishing is a way of live
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mind set, and with time, an obsession.

<°)))>< your fish <--------> my fish ><((((((((((((((((º>

Hey All

Also looking to tie some nymphs but everybody is sold out of CDL.
    Would pheasant tail work?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast