Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coq de leon alternatives

Default Coq de leon alternatives

Hey guys

Looking to tie some frenchie's and most patterns that ive seen employ coq de leon fibres for tails.
    What is a good alternative as this stuff is expensive

good quality and good taste don't come cheap.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Nothing really to substitute for good CDL. Buy yourself a pack of good stuff, it will last a long time, or go in with someone else and share a pack.
    CDL also is very good for RAB legs.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Nothing can beat it and it is expensive but:

Hair or paint brush bristles work well - I have destroyed more than one of the fiances makeup brushes this way.

I find for RAB legs some squirrel tale works best, and can also by used as the tail on a nymph but it is not as good on dries - you need good hard fibres for the tail to keep the surface tension.

But for frenchies I just use some black hackle or maybe grizzly hackle

and if you are tying them with peasant tail, you could just use some of the peasants tails itself.

Hope this helps!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

CDL is good stuff but it is not cheap. For French flies it would just use hackle fibers of a brown, grizzly, cream or black hackle of a neck or saddle. You can even mix them if necessary. An other alternative is microfibets (synthetic material which is used for tails).
    Grts,

Gino V.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Flyfishing is a way of live
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mind set, and with time, an obsession.

<°)))>< your fish <--------> my fish ><((((((((((((((((º>

Organza tails work well on nymphs.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

For nymph tails, a good alternative, although not very cheap either, are artist paint brushes. The sable ones are the best. Sable hair has a nice taper, much like CDL
    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Organza tails work well on nymphs.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    For nymph tails, a good alternative, although not very cheap either, are artist paint brushes. The sable ones are the best. Sable hair has a nice taper, much like CDL
    While they work well on dry flies, which require support in the meniscus, I personally find CDL/paint brush tails too stiff for nymphs, and prefer the softer organza.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

who stocks organza?

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    While they work well on dry flies, which require support in the meniscus, I personally find CDL/paint brush tails too stiff for nymphs, and prefer the softer organza.
    On most of my nymphs, I prefer a stiffer hackled tail, but it depends on the day you fish the nymph, then the stiffer hackles can assist with the "movement" of the nymph in the water column. compare it to a dolphin with or without a tail or a paralyzed tail
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast