Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a rod for my wife then myself

Default Looking for a rod for my wife then myself

My wife is keen to start fly fishing and is encouraging us to join the nffc

I'm using a 3/4wt rod at the moment - I know it's a bit light for dam fishing, but I like it for rivers.

Before I upgrade, I would like to get her her own rod and reel first.

I don't want to her her a hardware special, but rather a good beginner rod that is forgiving.
    I have a stealth and am looking for combo's online - any decent brand.
    We will be fishing in dams and rivers for trout and yellows.
    My question is what weight rod should I buy her as an all rounder.
    Secondly, should I get her intermediate line or floating?

In time if she really gets into it I will look at getting her a river rod as I love Lotheni.

Thank you kindly,

Bruce

Eish....youre getting into stony ground here. Think about letting her buy her own rod, otherwise you going to be blamed if it isn't right. Take her fishing, you will be blamed for the wind, if the fish aret biting, if the hike is too far, if the weather isn't right, if she gets sunburned.......oh sorry... your wife is different to every other wife whose husband ever got her onto fly fishing....yeah, yeah.....
    Better still... start telling her how bad fly fishing is for her. Take lots of photos of snakes and spiders and scorpions that you come across every time you go fishing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Eish....youre getting into stony ground here. Think about letting her buy her own rod, otherwise you going to be blamed if it isn't right. Take her fishing, you will be blamed for the wind, if the fish aret biting, if the hike is too far, if the weather isn't right, if she gets sunburned.......oh sorry... your wife is different to every other wife whose husband ever got her onto fly fishing....yeah, yeah.....
    Better still... start telling her how bad fly fishing is for her. Take lots of photos of snakes and spiders and scorpions that you come across every time you go fishing.
    I had to weigh up the pro's and cons heavily here
    We both work long hours so having a common hobby will mean I can get out more often, haha

We spent a Christmas a couple years tiger fishing - she beat me by 300g with a 5.2kg tigger.
    Although i've caught bigger, i wont live that one down.
    I pray she always catches smaller than me in the future.

I hear you... good luck mate...I still think that youre taking a huge risk in getting your missus involved on your hobby... just now she finds out how much you really pay for tackle, and discovers that you've been lying all along about how much you spend of FF gear. Is it really worth it?... no....rather give her money for a facial or something while you go fishing, and when you get back home after a day fishing, eat the great meal shes made for you, pour a glass of wine, tell her how much you missed her and how much you wanted her there with you, and then....you know....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbeast View Post
    My wife is keen to start fly fishing and is encouraging us to join the nffc

I'm using a 3/4wt rod at the moment - I know it's a bit light for dam fishing, but I like it for rivers.

Before I upgrade, I would like to get her her own rod and reel first.

I don't want to her her a hardware special, but rather a good beginner rod that is forgiving.
    I have a stealth and am looking for combo's online - any decent brand.
    We will be fishing in dams and rivers for trout and yellows.
    My question is what weight rod should I buy her as an all rounder.
    Secondly, should I get her intermediate line or floating?

In time if she really gets into it I will look at getting her a river rod as I love Lotheni.

Thank you kindly,

Bruce

Buy her and Xplorer or Stealth 9ft 5wt. A 10ft 6wt would probably be a better stillwater rod but the swing weight is higher and less fun to cast, especially for a woman. You could use the 9ft 5wt on rivers or stillwaters.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

As mentioned a 9" #5 is good, plus a floating line. intermediate can follow.

I think it is great if your missus enjoys the sport with you. Nothing better than that.
    Opens so much more fishing time for you as well, especially if you tell her she is so stressed, she needs some time on the water to chill.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

"Looking for a rod for my wife then myself"

Show us a picture of your wife so that we could decide if its a fair trade.

Thank you for the replies

Does anybody know an online shop that stocks such brands?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    "Looking for a rod for my wife then myself"

Show us a picture of your wife so that we could decide if its a fair trade.
    Baie baie skerp
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Looks like we are going to be settling on an Xplorer Procast II kit. 5/6wt 9ft.
    Its a nice basic combo from what I've read and she can upgrade as she feels the need to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast