Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Breede River Salt Trip

Hi Philip,

Would you be able to do a tackle breakdown of what the guys used and what you would advise?

I would love to join on one of these trips in the future but I need to start working towards obtaining some SW tackle first

Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Daai was 'n effing monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Hi Philip,

Would you be able to do a tackle breakdown of what the guys used and what you would advise?

I would love to join on one of these trips in the future but I need to start working towards obtaining some SW tackle first

Cheers
    Hi Uli,

For Grunter

I would suggest an 8 weight rod and a floating line with quite a pronounced taper to deliver quick casts and deal with the wind. I used 8lb flouro, 12' leader.

For Leeries

A 9wt or 10 weight rod with intermediate line - Airflo Cold Salt. 9' leader ending in 12 - 15lb.

For Cob

Probably more a 10wt, even a 12 weight. Line depends on the area/tide you will be fishing, from an intermediate to a fast sinker. I just ordered a Rio Outbound with a Di3 head and running intermediate line. Since there are some rocks in places I believe this might have been the better option. If the line close to the rod tip sinks to quickly it gets pulled into the rocks (we fished for the cob from the shore), many spots had reverse eddies close to the main channel and we got stuck in the rocks. Used a 20lb straight leader - 8', probably can up this to 25/30lb, don't believe the cob are leader shy.

If I have used this line for some time I will be able to judge better.
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 26-03-15 at 09:00 PM.

We have spotted probably 10 Loggerhead sea turtles in the river during our visit, great! Probably because we fished the river during an equinox.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Daai was 'n effing monster!
    Praat jy van die grunter

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    We have spotted probably 10 Loggerhead sea turtles in the river during our visit, great! Probably because we fished the river during an equinox.
    COOL, dit moes STUNNING GEWEES HET.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    COOL, dit moes STUNNING GEWEES HET.
    These guys, probably weigh in the region of 20 - 60 kg. Really special, sure the zambezi's often have a turtle for breakfast.

See they grow up to 200kg, have spotted these turtles on two trips to the Breede, from what I can gather they are Loggerheads? Seems to be very little info when it comes to their distribution this far south (Breede). Maybe someone else have more info. What still amazes me is that the Leatherbacks can grow up to 900kgs, almost a ton in weight and 2m long.

Room with a view

Pumping out some prawn flies prior to the trip

Pierre's cob

One of Barrie's Cape Moonies, I haven't seen this many Moonies rising/feeding on the scum/current line, probably a stretch of 200m, while it was raining on the saturday morning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3