Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transporting your fishing equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mario
    with most airlines, you are not allowed to "carry-on" your rods into the cabin.
    Remember that when you go to NZ
    At the one airport they allow you and when you do a stop over, at the next you are not allowed.
    Trust me, it has happened twice to me. They pull a little flyer out, and listed in there is the "not allowed" items. Fishing rods are listed there.
    Both times, I ended up being very lucky. The one time, a friendly smile and explanation did the trick. The second time, it was almost impossible.
    It took me an extra hour, running around, trying to book in an extra item, midway thru a trip is impossible, etc etc.
    I nearly left a Sage rod with the check-in official,
    Thanks Korrie. So not even a 5-piece or 7-piece would be allowed??? Ouch
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Can't you book it in as a special item from the beginning? I really don't want to transport my rods in my general luggage
    Hi.
    Sometimes you have to.
    each and every airline has its own policy.
    Fly from SA to London on one airline, get to London and hop onto another airline and different policies.
    most places, rod tubes are not put on Booking in conveyers etc, because it can fall off and damage the system etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Thanks Korrie. So not even a 5-piece or 7-piece would be allowed??? Ouch
    NO, nothing, can be used as a "weapon" read the literature, or to hide a weapon
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    NO, nothing, can be used as a "weapon" read the literature, or to hide a weapon
    Thanks, good thing - I was planning to build a 7-piece especially to take as carry-on in case something happens to my main luggage.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Will it still be a problem with rod being in a small case in stead of a rod tube? Ie. the old Hardy Smuggler I think. They came in 7 piece in a case that nearly looked like a small briefcase. Or is the rod itself a problem?

I've travelled domestic last week with my rod tube in hand. No problems through security or on any planes between Ct and Jo'Burg. But, that was domestic.

Whether you get to take your rod on as hand luggage or not depends on the person on duty at the time. When I went to NZ/OZ multiple anglers on the same flight were treated differently ito being able to take rods on or have to check them in. 9ft 4 piece rods are typically easy to fit into most bags (I use the soft holdalls from CapeUnionMart as they are very light and strong. With stricter weight restrictions being enforced by all the airlines, I don't want to be using a bag that weighs 3-4kgs on its own) but the 10ft 4 piece rods are a bit more difficult. Best is to pack a rod (or two) into your luggage and take one with as hand luggage. That way if either go missing you will still be able to fish. As Mario said, the thin square pvc tubes are lighter than most rod tubes and can fit multiple rods - mine can fit three 5/6wt rods in their cloth bags.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Why not just get a decent travel rod tube, and check the whole thing in?
    Some of us heathen conventional anglers are forced to do this because sour rods are typically longer, or don't break down as 4 pieces like most fly rods, so one is forced to pack them into a rod tube to travel.
    I've travelled all over the world with my rod tube ( http://jigstarafrica.co.za/index.php...etail?Itemid=0 ) and to some pretty far flung places, through all manner of airports and never had much of an issue.... its just a fact of life one has to deal with these days with Airline restrictions... Sometimes you gotta pay, sometimes you get lucky..

I've packed 15 rods in my Tube on trips.. I wrap them in clothes and stuff, so you protecting them and using that extra space for packing your essentials...

Also another note to be aware of, is carrying reels in your hand luggage.... this used to be no problem at all... not anymore.. a lot of airlines will not accept reels with lines on them in your hand luggage, especially braid.... so be aware of that, pack your reels in your main luggage...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

I use a big duffel bag that is big enough to fit any amount of rod tubes and gear. For my reels I have a fishing gear case that is strong enough to protect anything inside from the guaranteed abuse it will suffer.

I recently contacted KLM about taking rods and reels as carry on and they told me NO its not possible. I told them I didnt want to put it into the hold luggage but they gave me no other alternative. As far as I know all sports equipment including golf clubs and fishing rods must go into the hold. If your hold luggage gets lost you are screwed but it does not happen very often, it did happen to me once but got the luggage the next day. Olso, be sure you have travel insurance as the airline companies will only compensate for lost luggage to a certain amount, far less than what your gear are probably worth.

I hate checking in my fishing rods and reels but there seems to be no alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Will it still be a problem with rod being in a small case in stead of a rod tube? Ie. the old Hardy Smuggler I think. They came in 7 piece in a case that nearly looked like a small briefcase. Or is the rod itself a problem?

I've travelled domestic last week with my rod tube in hand. No problems through security or on any planes between Ct and Jo'Burg. But, that was domestic.
    Local is fine, only once had a problem, luckily got sorted and I could take in on the plane
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Whether you get to take your rod on as hand luggage or not depends on the person on duty at the time. When I went to NZ/OZ multiple anglers on the same flight were treated differently ito being able to take rods on or have to check them in. 9ft 4 piece rods are typically easy to fit into most bags (I use the soft holdalls from CapeUnionMart as they are very light and strong. With stricter weight restrictions being enforced by all the airlines, I don't want to be using a bag that weighs 3-4kgs on its own) but the 10ft 4 piece rods are a bit more difficult. Best is to pack a rod (or two) into your luggage and take one with as hand luggage. That way if either go missing you will still be able to fish. As Mario said, the thin square pvc tubes are lighter than most rod tubes and can fit multiple rods - mine can fit three 5/6wt rods in their cloth bags.
    I will not take rods as hand luggage on international flights.
    Unless you are willing to sacrifice a rod, should you meet the wrong official in another country's customs cubicle.
    As said previously, you get on with it in one airport, and then at the next, you might have to say good bye to it.
    With more and more "aircraft problems" the controls are getting stricter and stricter.
    The hand luggage rule is being enforced much more, in the last 2 months. (Use to bend the hand luggage rule, now very difficult)
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2