Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transporting your fishing equipment

Default Transporting your fishing equipment

Greetings all,

I recently had a bit of an issue transporting my fly fishing gear in my hand luggage through an international airport in the east. How do you transport your gear internationally, as my rods will not fit into my actual baggage in most cases. Is there a carry case, that is strong and can take the beating being in an aircraft hold? Any other suggestions?

Guido

Never a problem... lash the rod tubes together, and put them in the special handling counter.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Greetings all,

I recently had a bit of an issue transporting my fly fishing gear in my hand luggage through an international airport in the east. How do you transport your gear internationally, as my rods will not fit into my actual baggage in most cases. Is there a carry case, that is strong and can take the beating being in an aircraft hold? Any other suggestions?

Guido
    I had a couple of problems over the years.
    Beware of the conditions at the airline.
    Some allow only ONE piece of luggage
    The second has a surcharge, even of a rod tube of 200Euros.
    I have a special large bag, I got from Cape Union Mart, where I lash my rods to the suitcase with buff tape and then put it all in the large carry bag, which I then either buff tape again or cling/pallet/luggage wrap, in a tight parcel
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Get a cricket kit bag and pack your rods into that.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Get a cricket kit bag and pack your rods into that.
    As carry-on??????

Hockey bag could possible still make it as carry-on, perhaps, but a cricket bag?

Wrt to something tough to put into your suitcase/bag - have a look at rectangular or square PVC tubing from most good building/hardware shops. You even get caps for most of them. Cut one that will fit into your bag, rest is easy.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    As carry-on??????

Hockey bag could possible still make it as carry-on, perhaps, but a cricket bag?

Wrt to something tough to put into your suitcase/bag - have a look at rectangular or square PVC tubing from most good building/hardware shops. You even get caps for most of them. Cut one that will fit into your bag, rest is easy.
    Mario
    with most airlines, you are not allowed to "carry-on" your rods into the cabin.
    Remember that when you go to NZ
    At the one airport they allow you and when you do a stop over, at the next you are not allowed.
    Trust me, it has happened twice to me. They pull a little flyer out, and listed in there is the "not allowed" items. Fishing rods are listed there.
    Both times, I ended up being very lucky. The one time, a friendly smile and explanation did the trick. The second time, it was almost impossible.
    It took me an extra hour, running around, trying to book in an extra item, midway thru a trip is impossible, etc etc.
    I nearly left a Sage rod with the check-in official,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Can't you book it in as a special item from the beginning? I really don't want to transport my rods in my general luggage

Yes you can. All airlines have a facility for special and fragile items. When you do your normal check in, aske the clerk, and you will be directed. Best still, would be to call the airlines a few days before the flight, and make an enquiry. People do it with all sorts of things, golf clubs, bicycles, surfboards, paintings, glassware, sculptures etc etc etc. Its really no big issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Can't you book it in as a special item from the beginning? I really don't want to transport my rods in my general luggage
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Andre. Even if it costs a couple of bucks extra I think its worth it. Imagine ariving at your destination to find your suitcase has been opened and 4 fly rods gone!

It shouldn't cost you any more than the normal you would pay if you are overweight. They weigh it at the normal check in, and then send you to the other counter, so all your stuff is only weighted once. The special luggage counter doesn't charge extra, but some airlines might, best to check beforehand. Some airport call it, "oversized baggage " counter. Look, theres always a risk of baggage theft, weather its normal baggage or special baggage. youre not going to get away from the risk of something going missing, but have the stuff pallet wrapped and well secured, and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Thanks Andre. Even if it costs a couple of bucks extra I think its worth it. Imagine ariving at your destination to find your suitcase has been opened and 4 fly rods gone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast