Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Largie Toad

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    That would be good for bass too I'm sure. Looks stunning G.
    That is for sure Rolsy...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Gerrit how would you fish this fly to Largies?
    Hi Jean,

I fish it on a floater 100% of the time towards any type of lie in very slow bursts of 2cm-5cm strips. You can sometimes increase your speed but I haven't had too much success doing it. The nice thing with this fly is that with the increased speed of retrieve it doesn't spin. Best is to cast towards thick cover like logs or hyacinth & boulders (where I've encountered Tadpoles, Crabs and Mussels) and pull towards you as if the "thing" is trying to escape but slow is more! Have caught plenty on the drop too (probably where the Crab & Mussel idea comes into play) and that is why you need to be waky waky...
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 24-02-15 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Hi Jean,

I fish it on a floater 100% of the time towards any type of lie in very slow bursts of 2cm-5cm strips. You can sometimes increase your speed but I haven't had too much success doing it. The nice thing with this fly is that with the increased speed of retrieve it doesn't spin. Best is to cast towards thick cover like logs or hyacinth (where I've encountered Tadpoles, Crabs and Mussels) and pull towards you as if the "thing" is trying to escape but slow is more! Have had plenty takes on the drop too and that is why you need to be waky waky...
    Thanks Gerrit. Would love to catch a Largie.

I think it would also be quite a nice fly in olive and brown.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes that works too the very first few ones were olive & brown (more of a mussel colour) but black is my favorite.

This fly started out as a Tadpole pattern and hence the name but then I started having success in rocky areas which had lots of Crabs and then one day (see pic) in slower water next to a hyacinth edge I found gazillions of mussels and I looked at the fly and realized hey this fly with it's body shape and orange head (I read somewhere the little guy in the shell is orange at some stage) is actually a flippen cool mussel imitation. It's success is unmatched!

Mossel.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 23-02-15 at 04:17 PM.

Het rukkie gevat om te click wie die Beast Tamer dude is met die crazy tying skills!! Lyk bevange G!! Ek sukkel so bietjie op die oomblik met jou ander plan, gaan hopelik die week uitsort!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Yes that works too (more of a mussel colour) but black is my favorite. In fact the very first few ones were olive & brown. Below, the day it smacked me right between the eyes! By then I already had a name for the fly. :wink:

Mossel.jpg
    Do they pick those off from the rocks?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks Mario goed om nou en dan bietjie te change en te evolve. :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Do they pick those off from the rocks?
    Don't know exactly where and what apart from checking them under hyacinth I suspect that they do the rock thing too has to be and silty/sandy bottoms!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 23-02-15 at 04:23 PM.

Great looking fly. Reckon it would do well for some proper sized stillwater trout as well.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast