Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Largie Toad

Thumbs up The Largie Toad

My signature fly.
    The best fly ever developed for Largemouth Yellowfish. A true non refusal fly!
    Imitates Tadpoles, Crabs and Freshwater Mussels.
    Also works great as an attractor in murky conditions, super easy to tie and indestructible!

the-largie-toad1.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 23-02-15 at 07:07 AM.

Nice fly, whats it called? I doubt it would be called "largie toad", as a signature fly........
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Nice fly, whats it called? I doubt it would be called "largie toad", as a signature fly........
    Andre I thought you left us...

I'm glad you decided to stay. We need some comic relief. Only you can doubt someone else's description of their signature fly.

Very nice!

Thanks... Im not doubting anything, just asking the name of the fly. A signature piece is usually named after the individual who makes or endorses it., So what is the fly called?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post

I'm glad you decided to stay. We need some comic relief. Only you can doubt someone else's description of their signature fly.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post

Why you gotta go there and try ruin another thread? Keep it in the handbags section please - this is a good thread from a good fly tyer that we could all learn from and we dont need threads like this being tainted.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Gerrit - what is the body made of? Is it just furry foam tied top and bottom of the shank?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

That would be good for bass too I'm sure. Looks stunning G.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Thanks guys,

Grant the body is 2x pieces of felt in the shape of a Tadpole, Crab or Mussel glued together. The original was tied with furry foam but it's not durable I'll search my records to try find a pic of a 17lber that took my fly apart before the substitution came... :tongue: Not only that with normal wear and tear i.e casting, water, fish,etc it would just come apart and hence the sub with felt. Remember furry foam is actually two pieces glued together so with the earlier version you actually ended up with four pieces on the shank once the lot was glued. With felt you only use two pieces.

You can buy self adhesive felt from Builders it comes in green, black and cream I fish it in green now and then (looks like the felt on a pool table) too!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 23-02-15 at 11:08 AM.

Gerrit how would you fish this fly to Largies?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast