Thread: Kamberg trout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kamberg trout

hi there I am going to Kamberg this week-end to stay in a chalet and fly fish for trout in their dams. has anyone been there recently and what's the fishing like? is there river fishing available how sucessful has anyone been with the river?

It's been a while since I last fished in the Kamberg Nature Reserve itself. There really are only 2 dams in the reserve now that are stocked. They drained the top one around 2 years ago so I'm not sure how it's recovered. The bottom dam has however always been my favourite and I've picked up a few good rainbows there.

Regarding the river fishing. It is available although it is quite tough. The problem is that the banks can get quite steep and the water is deep. This means you're constantly scrambling in and out of the river which can get tiring. That said the Mooi is a lovely river and well worth the effort.

A better option however may be to fish the stretch directly below the reserve. It passes through the Thendele community and some of the locals have been trained as guides. They charge you R100 per day and will show you the better spots. They're not experienced fisherman but they do know the river and will make it a day to remember. It's a much easier stretch to fish than in the reserve, and the fish are also a little bigger. So perhaps go and support the local community upliftment project. It's kept the river cleaner for all fishermen.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    It's been a while since I last fished in the Kamberg Nature Reserve itself. There really are only 2 dams in the reserve now that are stocked. They drained the top one around 2 years ago so I'm not sure how it's recovered. The bottom dam has however always been my favourite and I've picked up a few good rainbows there.

Regarding the river fishing. It is available although it is quite tough. The problem is that the banks can get quite steep and the water is deep. This means you're constantly scrambling in and out of the river which can get tiring. That said the Mooi is a lovely river and well worth the effort.

A better option however may be to fish the stretch directly below the reserve. It passes through the Thendele community and some of the locals have been trained as guides. They charge you R100 per day and will show you the better spots. They're not experienced fisherman but they do know the river and will make it a day to remember. It's a much easier stretch to fish than in the reserve, and the fish are also a little bigger. So perhaps go and support the local community upliftment project. It's kept the river cleaner for all fishermen.
    Warren, could you please post on how we can contact the guides etc.

Thanks,

Bruce

Contact Richard at: thendelaflyfishing@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Hi Bruce,

Read Peter's article here for some more information: https://callofthestream.wordpress.co...a-fly-fishing/

Or take a look at their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thend...87159207989957

You can contact Richard at thendelaflyfishing@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Warren
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"