Thread: Shilton sl6 weight with backing and fly line?

Default Shilton sl6 weight with backing and fly line?

What is the weight of a Shilton SL6 with line and backing? Can someone please help?

I need info for comparative purposes... :-)

Thanks

What are you comparing it to? and do you need it to be lighter or heavier, and for what purpose?. IE. what rod, what length of rod, and what fishing style will you be using it for? The debate around reel weight intrigues me.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I want to buy a 9wt "general purpose" rod for Tigers, salt and big cats. I have a Stealth Bluewater 9/10wt reel that weighs, with line, 395g. I have had this reel for a long time, was wondering how the weight compares to more modern reels, and whether it would be worthwhile upgrading. The Stealth is a nice reel, just feels heavy in hand. If I can find a lighter reel (at least 100g) 8/9 or 9/10, then I would probably look at getting it.

The Shilton isn't lighter !
    I have the blue water as my backup rig to the Shilton
    The downside to the blue water is the non serviceable "one way " bearing that wears and has the potential to drop you in free wheel hell as well as the drag plate being actuated by three stainless pins in an aluminum body that needs to be properly cleaned or it corrodes and sticks (and collects sand in the surf)

Where the shiltion has an old fashioned serviceable dog n ratchet anti reverse and a simple drag to spool system
    If you can get spares for the blue water it will go forever with tlc
    The shilton is bullet proof
    I've only has one niggle and that was a bearing seal pop and (shilton replaced for free )
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

I think that in the weight range that you are talking about, I doubt very much that a few grams here and there is going to make a huge difference. Have a look at the superiority of the Shilton in all areas, and make a decision from there. They are great reels and you wont be making a mistake by going with a Shilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I want to buy a 9wt "general purpose" rod for Tigers, salt and big cats. I have a Stealth Bluewater 9/10wt reel that weighs, with line, 395g. I have had this reel for a long time, was wondering how the weight compares to more modern reels, and whether it would be worthwhile upgrading. The Stealth is a nice reel, just feels heavy in hand. If I can find a lighter reel (at least 100g) 8/9 or 9/10, then I would probably look at getting it.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.