Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 6wt floating line of the current bunch

Default Best 6wt floating line of the current bunch

I am in the market for a new floating line and was looking for some views on the best of the current lines on offer. I am specifically looking for a line that works well for dry fly and that can turn over 12 - 15 ft leaders but not necessarily heavy flies.

I currently have a Rio Gold and the SA GPX textured on my rods. These are both great lines.

I specifically enjoy the Rio Gold and to be honest unless there is a much better line out there i will probably get another one of these. It is extermely supple, no memory and I can pick up 3/4 of the line off the water and recast to within a few inches of where i want without any false casts.

The SA GPX Textured is also a great line but do find the coating chows your hands after a weekend of hard fishing. Also no memory and casts great though.

So what's out there that is significantly better for the required application?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

I'm a big Airflo fan there are some nice options.
    Gerrit Viljoen

I fished my new Cortland Trout Boss (6wt) at Vanderkloof for the first time and I reckon it's a great line! Fished only dries in the river.

When i read the heading of your post and was waiting for the page to open, the thoughts going through my head were exactly those two that you mentioned in your original thread.

I have used both and like the SA more than the RIO, but to be honest with you, if you are happy with the RIO gold it obviously matches nicely to the rest of your equipment and it's probably a good idea to stick with that formula that seems to be working rather than changing which might introduce some small new dynamic that messes with your equilibrium.

I believe the new Airflo floaters are much nicer than the old ones, but for me that is not saying much as the old ones (i mean the original pink supple ridge ones - not sooo old) were a disaster so anything would be better - i dont think you will get much more out of it than sticking with what you know.

I am not sure if the SA textured come out in a presentation taper, but the Sharkskins do, and that might be a better option for delicate presentations if the Textured lines have that option? The GPX is half a line weight heavier for fishing with fast rods, so it might inhibit your ability for nice dry fly presentation.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Barrio lines are great.
    Fished a #6 for a about 3 seasons, Off the reel and lays as straight as an arrow on the water, casts well, with long leaders.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Bryan,you can certainly look at the Airflo super-dri lines.They are really nice.
    One reason i like rio is the coating seems to be a bit harder and also last longer but they not the best presentation line.The airflo super dri is really nice

I eventually went for the Rio Perception which is supposed to be the top of the range Rio floater, one up from the Rio Gold. I really like my Rio Gold so lets see.

Will let you know how it goes.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Best floater hands down from my personal experience is the new Airflo Super-Dri lines.
    Supple, nice taper, great colour, floats well and being PU, it takes the punishment of Africa and lasts a LOT longer than PVC lines.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Agreed- I have been using a 6wt Super-Dri Xceed for the past season and I am incredibly happy with it. I did quite a bit of reading up before purchasing- independent reviews rated it very highly. I would buy another one.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

I wanna get that new #8 Bonefish line eina!!!!!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 08-03-15 at 06:58 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast