Thread: Alternate approaches to catching SM Yellows

Default Alternate approaches to catching SM Yellows

Hi Guys

I'm planning on going to Arendsnes on Sunday, taking the Wife, Friends and their kids.

Now i want to show the adults what i do when i disappear to this mystic place called the Vaal and catch these so called fish. (I never have pics to prove this so i think they think i'm lying or having an affair :-) ).

So now my issue is the kids. They are 3, 5 and 7, all boys, so they are going to want to fish no question. Now they obviously can't take a walk into the river but was thinking at Arensdnes they can either fish in the pool on the left, but that's not really gonna fool them for long or in the front off the edges.

Now I have 2 spinning rods and will set those up with a thingamabobbe and a weighted braasie or something like that but is there another simple option as kids and flying hooks are a worry for me. They will all be de-barbed and the kids will all be wearing hats and glasses for sure as a default.

But is there an option to fish on the bottom rather thereby reducing the aerial hooks. maybe a heavy sinker on the bottom and a un-weighted nymph just dangling in the current? or other?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
    Grant

in the second pool, just behind the big willow tree, i saw a decent school of bait fish (talapia). just before the entrance booms on the left Oom Neels built a smallish dam, ask before venturing in there. otherwise the kids can make use of the pool, jumping matt and other swings. picnic on the upper level ground, where the rest of the family can keep an eye on them

Are there other venues that may be better options for what I want to do here? I only know 2 venues. Arendsnes and Eendekiul.

This is where I use the bubble floats,
    Teaching kids to fish.
    The thingabobber will also work.
    a very easy way for kids to fish, where there are a bit of flowing water is across and let it swing.
    Add a bit of split shot for easier and distance casting.
    all the small channels etc, is home to fish.
    Tiny nymphs, # 16, #18 cast across and let it swing, if it does not reach deep enough, add a tiny split shot directly above the nymphs.

when teaching kids, the most important is lots of fish, small fish, medium fish is excellent.
    This weekend I have a camping trip with 6 kids, between 7 and 11 years old.

They can watch the thingamaobber/bubble float, it is visual, they can wade etc.
    Explain to them how the fish work looking for food, show them under the rocks, the nymphs, the food chain.

Then cast across at 45 degrees and let it swing, hold the fly in position down stream from you/them.
    Gauranteed to have fun.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

when my kids were very young, I did the following, and it was great. I took an old spinning rod, about 8 feet long, and threaded heavy mono through the eyes and tied it onto the reel seat, as close as I could get it to the butt of the rod. Thread it through and leave about 6 to 8 feet out the rod tip. To that you can tie a short tippet sectionof 12 pounds and on the end a split shot, quite heavy. tie a dropper about 6 inches above the slit shot and tie on a fly. any fly unweighted or whatever. Then get them to lob it in...a la Czech nymphing style. They will have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Are there other venues that may be better options for what I want to do here? I only know 2 venues. Arendsnes and Eendekiul.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Guys

I'm planning on going to Arendsnes on Sunday, taking the Wife, Friends and their kids.

Now i want to show the adults what i do when i disappear to this mystic place called the Vaal and catch these so called fish. (I never have pics to prove this so i think they think i'm lying or having an affair :-) ).

So now my issue is the kids. They are 3, 5 and 7, all boys, so they are going to want to fish no question. Now they obviously can't take a walk into the river but was thinking at Arensdnes they can either fish in the pool on the left, but that's not really gonna fool them for long or in the front off the edges.

Now I have 2 spinning rods and will set those up with a thingamabobbe and a weighted braasie or something like that but is there another simple option as kids and flying hooks are a worry for me. They will all be de-barbed and the kids will all be wearing hats and glasses for sure as a default.

But is there an option to fish on the bottom rather thereby reducing the aerial hooks. maybe a heavy sinker on the bottom and a un-weighted nymph just dangling in the current? or other?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
    Grant
    I would not complicate the experience by trying to get them to catch on fly. Use mielies (if allowed at the venue) and they will catch plenty of fish. Bait if fished correctly will outfish flies for yellows on any given day.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Right the day was a relative success. My friends both caught and my wife lost one. Kids didn't catch anything.

I did say relatively successful :-( Who's the Orvis agent in SA. Have a tip to replace.....

Did the kids enjoy it anyway?
    Right the day was a relative success. My friends both caught and my wife lost one. Kids didn't catch anything.

I did say relatively successful :-( Who's the Orvis agent in SA. Have a tip to replace.....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes they did. Spend more time playing with the rocks in on the bank and building rock castles than fishing, but they had fun outside by the river so that's what counts.

Yeah that's all that counts. Doesn't matter they didn't fish. Sometimes its simply a matter of us Dads wanting to live our own lives through our kids. And wanting them to catch fish, when in actual fact, sometimes they just don't care about anything, but simply having fun, fishing or not. If they enjoyed the day out, they will want to go again.