Thread: Best strategy for fishing pools in rivers?

Default Best strategy for fishing pools in rivers?

Hi guys
    Was wondering what the best strategy is to fish a pool in a river/stream.Often there appears to be no movement in the middle portions of such pools?

On a specific day, just about anything will work and on another day, nothing will work.
    There are days, when a Plonker will outfish alll other delicate dry flies, on another day, a #24 PTN will spook the fish, on another day, a fast retrieved Wooly bugger will provoke a strike.
    Guess you have to try them all. :0
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Best is to start learning the anatomy of a pool and take it from there. I recommend reading books by Dave Hughes,etc he describes all types of water in nice simple terms. (met prentjies nogals) I've implemented a lot of what he writes about Trout on Largemouth Yellowfish with great success!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 10-03-15 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi guys
    Was wondering what the best strategy is to fish a pool in a river/stream.Often there appears to be no movement in the middle portions of such pools?
    Fish the structure, remembering that fish like the combination of food, shelter and oxygen.

My strategy when fishing upstream is as follows:
    1) fish the tail with dry fly and/or shallow-running nymphs. Mostly dead-drift.
    2) fish the outside bank (i.e. the deeper bank) with deeper-running nymphs. This area often has some overhanging trees/rocks and undercuts. Again dead-drifting. This is where I have found the largest fish prefer to hang out.
    3) fish the less obvious areas of the pool like the middle with heavier flies. Liesenring lifts or still-water type retrieves with larger flies that have more movement is often a good idea. Fish here will tend to be more nomadic so you will likely have to attract them from further away vs fast-water fish.
    4) Have a smoke/snack/think to rest the pool a bit
    5) fish the head/neck

In the middle of a pool with flow, fish will often lie behind rocks (obvious), but also at the edge of any gully/step down in the base rock/sand.

thanks circus,good post