Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Vibram or Felt Soled Wading Boots

I never had any problem carrying the boots in a bag strapped to the backpack,
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I never had any problem carrying the boots in a bag strapped to the backpack,
    Andre

Big difference between walking from your beat to the carpark on the Smalblaar to walking beat 6 on the Witte:biggrin:

Yes I agree... although walking to a smalblaar beat, I wouldn't bother carrying them. EP 4 might be worthwhile in a net bag on the backpack, also some of the Olifants sections I fish at. Anyway since, I have the Stream tread Simms boots, which I have been using for the past 5year, I can do the hike in the fishing boots. I prefer them anyway to felt.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes I agree... although walking to a smalblaar beat, I wouldn't bother carrying them. EP 4 might be worthwhile in a net bag on the backpack, also some of the Olifants sections I fish at. Anyway since, I have the Stream tread Simms boots, which I have been using for the past 5year, I can do the hike in the fishing boots. I prefer them anyway to felt.
    Wet boots are a bit of a mission when you have to run or jog out from Witte 6

I have the nylon guide boots and they are designed to dry in a few minutes. Also wet was never a problem with the older freestones either, as they were PVC. With the correct wading socks, wet boots are never a problem. A lot of the problems people have with wet boots is about the cheap socks that they wear. The best wading socks don't hold the water. Wading socks is about as important as the boots themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Wet boots are a bit of a mission when you have to run or jog out from Witte 6

I have the nylon guide boots and they are designed to dry in a few minutes. Also wet was never a problem with the older freestones either, as they were PVC. With the correct wading socks, wet boots are never a problem. A lot of the problems people have with wet boots is about the cheap socks that they wear. The best wading socks don't hold the water. Wading socks is about as important as the boots themselves.
    But good wading socks make for poor walking socks!

Quite the opposite. Good wading socks are ideal for hiking with the boots on. the absolute worst are the neoprene inner socks... terrible..
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    But good wading socks make for poor walking socks!
    Last edited by Andre; 26-03-15 at 12:57 PM.

We can agree on the neoprene inners.

But my experience is nothing beats a good old fashioned pair of thick woolen hiking socks for comfort.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to go with the vibram Simms' Guide boots. I will try fix up the toe section of my felt soled Freestones. I will see what products are best and patch them up.

Cheers,

Ryan
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

maybe i dont spend to much time at the tackle shops but saw these on the net, never thought one would consider these soles
    boot.jpg
    Last edited by dollar; 31-03-15 at 12:41 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7