Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing for Spotted Grunter

Mario, Also with limited saltwater experience, I have found that the duel fly setup for grunter hasn't worked that well for me. Not sure why, but I suspect it messes up the presentation which is quite critical for grunter. Although I haven't used the dropper setup, but rather tying the trailing fly to the hook bend of the first hook.
    This works well for leeries sometimes, but for grunter, it seems to cause more trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Just curious (and with ZERO saltwater knowledge and experience) ... if they behave like that, would it not perhaps be worth a try to trail something else behind the 1st pattern (like we do for trout) ... a dropper of sorts?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Mario, Also with limited saltwater experience, I have found that the duel fly setup for grunter hasn't worked that well for me. Not sure why, but I suspect it messes up the presentation which is quite critical for grunter. Although I haven't used the dropper setup, but rather tying the trailing fly to the hook bend of the first hook.
    This works well for leeries sometimes, but for grunter, it seems to cause more trouble.
    As I typed I was also thinking about this ja - have heard the are extremely spooky. Just thought about the follow and not committing.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Just curious (and with ZERO saltwater knowledge and experience) ... if they behave like that, would it not perhaps be worth a try to trail something else behind the 1st pattern (like we do for trout) ... a dropper of sorts?
    Mario

I tie a floating prawn pattern and a neutral density pattern which I tie behind the floating prawn, NZ rig style. Have taken grunter on both the floating and trailing prawn. As you say, trout style.

I also believe that the fish might possibly pick up the shade/silhouette/wake of the fly on the bottom before it turns up to take the fly. Not necessarily that the fish keeps an eye on the surface when cruising the flats.
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 20-11-15 at 06:13 PM.

What do you think is the ultimate grunter rod and line? I'm toying with the idea of a 10ft 6wt with floating line, I've got a salt specific 9wt with intermediate line but looking for something lighter and with a floating line for grunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion is a 9 foot , 7 or 8wt. and a floating line or very slow intermediate type 1 or 2, I have a type 2 clear intermediate, and it seems to work fine. I like the presentation that I get from the 8wt, its an old Horizon 2 piece.
    The depth and conditions, greatly influence your rod and line choice, but I generaly fish for grunter very seldom, and almost always in estuary tidal flats, like Plett and Knysna
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What do you think is the ultimate grunter rod and line? I'm toying with the idea of a 10ft 6wt with floating line, I've got a salt specific 9wt with intermediate line but looking for something lighter and with a floating line for grunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

You will not be ablke to present to a fish in strong winds with a 6w rod in my oppinion....i would suggest anything from a 8-10w paired with a floating line....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

finally got a my first grunter on fly month or two ago at witsand. I cannot contribute much re the discussion on targeting them, as I believe it had much to do with luck, the fact that it ate the fly. I have done the same that I have done for many many hours before, and I believe I will do the same, with the same fly, for many hour again before I get one again. but point is they are catchable, just need to come across a stupid one..

The fly was a spun SF fibre (in olive) thing, when I tied it the original idea was for a baitfish imitation but at some stage I thought this could go for a mudprawn imitation so I left it without eyes. It is neutral boyant / slow sink. no weight added in the form of leadwrapps or dumbels.
    How I caught it was an off target cast to a tailing fish about 5m out (about 1m to the right and 1,5m past). The fish has gone down already when I started a short strip, but it chased the fly down fully committed until the take (knee deep water, could see the bow wave as it came for it).

Hope this help someone in his quest to catch one.
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome Adriaan, well done! When I see the flies being used and the techniques, then there is a glimmer of hope for me yet...

Mooi Adriaan!

They also eat mud/sand gobies, probably what that fly was mistaken for. When doing bait fishing at Stilbaai and there are many peckers around I fish a goby. Also have seen at De Mond a mud goby being blown out, stunned on the surface.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast