Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing for Spotted Grunter

Hi Philip

I've been using a version of Kyle Reed's fly 'G-Route Spotted Shrimp':

http://www.vagabondfly.com/g-route-s...-by-kyle-reed/

Some success fished on its own on the tactics he explains in the Vagabond Fly piece.

This is the fly I now have as the dropper. Going to take it way down in size.

Will keep you posted

The metabolism of the fish could slow down in the cooler water this moving to shallow warmer water but one does not get that impression when you sink the hook into them. I have not been out of action for 5 weeks as I had a bad accident and ended up with a injured knee and right shoulder so have been unable to fish. The better anglers switch to Pilchard baits at this time of the year at Little Brak and Gouritz and I have tried in the past dredging the holes with silver grey Clousers and Streamers but no joy. I tried a Tan Zonker Clouser with a yellow eye and caught White Steenbras thoughout winter two seasons ago but no Grunter. Maybe I should dip the flies in Pilchard oil and see if that has an effect. The Grunter are currently trapped in the Great Brak Lagoon as the mouth has closed and they are active on the flats in the evening - water would also warm up during the day. One has to fish here during the week as too much activity over the weekends and holidays. Although I have cast to many fish here, I have not cracked the code. Another suggestion is checking stomach contents but I have never tried a stomach pump on them - would that work as I do not have one so would have to kill the fish to inspect the stonach contents? To retain the undulating action of the floating prawn fly, tie in the dropper in front of the fly.

Had a client in the shop yesterday, one of the old salts living in Struisbaai. He caught a grunter of 94cm this past season at De Mond, not on fly. Just shows what fish are out there to be taken on fly in the coming season, can not wait
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 24-07-16 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Hi Philip

I've been using a version of Kyle Reed's fly 'G-Route Spotted Shrimp':

http://www.vagabondfly.com/g-route-s...-by-kyle-reed/

Some success fished on its own on the tactics he explains in the Vagabond Fly piece.

This is the fly I now have as the dropper. Going to take it way down in size.

Will keep you posted
    Thanks for that one scoop - I tied a few yesterday. not too shabby looking. Where in the southern cape have you had success with it? I mainly do breede - can't wait to get back there in Oct and again Nov sometime.

Some Karoolskraal footage. It's been a looong winter, can't wait to visit the Breede. Watch in HD.

Just look at those powerful tails.

Awesome video, was that shot on the witsand side of the river?

I usually see boats lying on the infanta side of karools for the grunter.

Hi Gareth,

Yes on the Witsand side. There are some extensive banks on the Infanta side, which should be equally good.

Thanks guys really enjoy reading about grunter.

Its awesome reading how passionate fly fishers are about a species and working to crack the code...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Going to give the grunter at Breede a bash this weekend on the surface. Any advice on the best bays to work?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast