This topic has been discussed in great depth on Fly Talk since we started the website in 2005. I thought it would be good to create a new thread in which we can share our experiences and discuss it further. To give input and hopefully learn to understand the species so we can catch grunter more consistently on fly.

Since grunter are so prolific along the biggest part of the SA coastline, it is reasonably accessible to most of SA fly rodders and a great sport fish. In the Western Cape De Mond is the first estuary where you can target grunter, and further east all estuaries that opens to the sea regularly should have grunter. The feeding habits seem to differ between the different areas, with grunter in Transkei and KZN being taken quite often on lures, pilchard bait and even spoons.

I have had some of my best grunter fishing during February on the Brenton surf using fresh white mussel, fishing that can be compared to the shad run in KZN. These days I still do lots of bait fishing for grunter, mainly in Stilbay. Fishing a circle hook with a tungsten bead/s sliding all the way to the hook when a stronger current warrants this and without whenever I can.

I haven't targeted grunter on fly with any success till this past weekend. Quite often I believe I came close, but never had a positive take which I believe I had any understanding of. As mentioned, guys like MC, Jannie Visser, August Lohann, Peter Coetzee and Henkie Altena did put in a lot of effort, thinking about what they do, designing fly patterns and also catching this elusive fish.

However, I believe, the code hasn't been cracked yet, but after thinking about my experiences, talking to guys who do catch grunter, we are closer and I will share what I think what I have been missing.

When more responsible fly fishers have more success, it will benefit our estuaries, the future of the species and the growth of fly fishing.

Time to put the boys to bed. Will try and post again later tonight/tomorrow. So long, please share your experiences and give input.