Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seychelles

Haha selle Gerrit

Hmmm those things don't seem to help over there. Tourism is their main industry revenue earner, and they are fiercely protective of their tourism lisencees. Its like being caught smuggling diamonds in the Northern Cape...no amount of appologies or pleading ignorance will help. They will nail you... properly.
    My sister is married to the son of the Chief Justice of Seychelles. I think I have covered the cheap fishing option with him many times, and there is no alternative but to do it with a licensed operator, or on your own. Details of reserves and National parks are easy to come by to know where one can and cant fish.
    Seychelles are so protective of their tourism resources, that they have intentionally made it a very expensive place, for the purpose of defining the market to people who can afford it. No backpackers, campers, etc etc are welcome there, and all rightly so, otherwise it would have long ago degenerated to something like the Comores or Mauritius.
    Its one of the reasons why Seychelles don't have recreational fishing licence requirements. They expect that all fishing tourism will be condicted through legitimate operators, who know , understand, and abide by the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    it is far easier to ask for forgiveness, that beg for permission.
    Or plead ignorance.
    Last edited by Andre; 17-04-15 at 09:59 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

So campers and backpackers are tappits?

Whats a tappit?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    So campers and backpackers are tappits?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hmmm those things don't seem to help over there. Tourism is their main industry revenue earner, and they are fiercely protective of their tourism lisencees. Its like being caught smuggling diamonds in the Northern Cape...no amount of appologies or pleading ignorance will help. They will nail you... properly.
    My sister is married to the son of the Chief Justice of Seychelles. I think I have covered the cheap fishing option with him many times, and there is no alternative but to do it with a licensed operator, or on your own. Details of reserves and National parks are easy to come by to know where one can and cant fish.
    Seychelles are so protective of their tourism resources, that they have intentionally made it a very expensive place, for the purpose of defining the market to people who can afford it. No backpackers, campers, etc etc are welcome there, and all rightly so, otherwise it would have long ago degenerated to something like the Comores or Mauritius.
    Its one of the reasons why Seychelles don't have recreational fishing licence requirements. They expect that all fishing tourism will be condicted through legitimate operators, who know , understand, and abide by the requirements.
    Andre

there are a couple of studies in terms of cheap holiday makers vs high end tourism.
    i.e. Spain where they had a look at the contribution to the local economy of the mass market package deal English holiday makers in certain areas vs the high end tourism.
    The mass market, adds almost no value to the local economy except drink lots of beer, and eat CHEAP food. The high end tourism, supports the local industry, crafts, restaurant, sight seeing etc. In certain Spanish coastal towns, they have started demolishing the cheap hotels, as they no longer want the bottom end, package deal, beer guzzling English tourist.
    Gerrit
    Research have shown, that all the new "tourism hotspots" that have been opened up, was due the the leading roll that back packers have played to open up due to adventurous spirit of the back packers and their urge to see "new" places.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Andre

Research have shown, that all the new "tourism hotspots" that have been opened up, was due the the leading roll that back packers have played to open up due to adventurous spirit of the back packers and their urge to see "new" places.
    Agree, Spain has thousands of backpacking sightseeing opportunities, and is a springboard between europe and North Africa.. Seychelles has very few, apart from the black parrot, coco de mare, and a bit sightseeing over thousands of islands not serviced by public ferries.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Whats a tappit?
    Kanaal Babers, Vlei rotte, dam duikers, etc.

Daar is nie Kanale nie, daar is nie babers nie, daar is nie vleie nie, miskien 'n klein dammetjie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Kanaal Babers, Vlei rotte, dam duikers, etc.
    Toemaar Gerrit, I get it!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I am very fortunate to be in Seychelles at the moment, sadly not fishing specific. Brought my 9wt with and have flicked fly on Anse Royal beach, south of the airport. Was lowish tide, spotted a few small Bonefish and believe I had 1 hookup but not landed.

Am complete noob to saltwater fly. Will go try that beach again and see if I can find any other spots that don't need boat access.

Am still here till Friday, so if you know if any fly fishing spots, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2