Thread: Seychelles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Seychelles

Howdy Guys

So I'm biting the bullet and planning a wedding, the idea is to get married in the Seychelles and then just spend the rest of our honeymoon there.

Thing is seeing that we are there, we can just as well make a plan to go fishing. So we've asked for a few quotes, and the prices are really steep, a 3 day stay for two people sets you back the price of a small car.

So my question is does anyone have some hints on how to get some good fishing done that side, without having to sell a kidney (Although I haven't completely ruled out the selling of body parts).

Cheers

The fishing will largely depend on where in the Seychelles you will be, and if you have access to a boat, or are prepared to pay for one. If you are on Mahe, or Praslin, there are options if you know where to go,, but your chances of quality fishing improve the further you are able to get away from the main Ilands.
    Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Howdy Guys

So I'm biting the bullet and planning a wedding, the idea is to get married in the Seychelles and then just spend the rest of our honeymoon there.

Thing is seeing that we are there, we can just as well make a plan to go fishing. So we've asked for a few quotes, and the prices are really steep, a 3 day stay for two people sets you back the price of a small car.

So my question is does anyone have some hints on how to get some good fishing done that side, without having to sell a kidney (Although I haven't completely ruled out the selling of body parts).

Cheers
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If you are on Mahe, go to the complete opposite side of the island to where Victoria is situated. Anse la Mouch is a small town, with a good beach and a large area of sand flats. I caught several bonefish there, between the dozens of boats anchored there, and was able to wade out a few hundred meters. Its a good place to fish the main island, and easy to get to by taxi if you don't mind the absolutely shocking standard of driving.
    http://www.beachesofseychelles.com/Anse_a_La_Mouche
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have been on one or 2 islands.
    There are always local fishermen, with boats.
    Sometimes, they are willing to take you out, for a fee.
    Others just want the extra line in the water and want to keep your catch.
    Chat to them and negotiate.
    In Scheycelles, there are a number of Saffers, with skiboats
    go to the local skiboat club, they might require a deckhand, or offer to pay some of the costs, to join them.
    (above have helped me in the past, in various places, from remote islands, to the Florida keys)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Andre and Korrie, pretty much what I had in mind, get on the island and find some locals to go fishing with, would be much cheaper than the commercial places that have internet websites.

Sometimes, just the experience, to be with the locals is amazing.
    Most of the locals are almost subsistence fishermen.
    Small boat, old motor, no life JACKETS or flares, which have caused some hair raising moments.
    (on the one trip, it took the guy about 15 minutes to start an old Tohatsu outboard out there in the deep. :frown
    afterwards, take the guy to the local for a cup of coffee or a beer, meet his friends/family.
    When you go fish for the day, book your wife into a Spa, when you return, both had a super day and great memories
    Last edited by Korrie; 17-04-15 at 08:26 AM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    Howdy Guys

Cheers
    I spent my honeymoon on Praslin and it was great... Personally would say don't bother with the offshore fly fishing - DIY land based will get you fish on Mahe or Praslin, but you will bleed offshore on fly around them. If deep dredging is your thing, you might pull some snapper and Jobs.
    If you find the right flats on foot, you can get Bones, Snapper, and various Kingie species - few fish and mostly not huge, and the bigger specimen of Bones, Permit and Golden Kingie are very skittish and have see their fair share of FF. It's not easy, but very rewarding to hook a Bone on a flat close to civilization.
    I have fished both Mahe and Praslin on fly, conventionally and on kayak on numerous trips and I am always surprised at the lack of consistent fish offshore. But then with a 100 000 people to feed, overfishing is rife. If you take a look at the local fresh fish markets and see what is being sold, it is clear that hauls are small and the catches in traps and conventionally are mostly made up off juvenile snapper, pick handles and bludger from deep reefs.

Alternatively you can go crèche bashing and really rake up your species count on the flats as well.

If you are serious about your saltwater FF, save up and do a trip to Alphonse, Platte, or the outer Islands. Alphonse will be a great honeymoon destination as well. Or else hire a car and explore the islands, beautiful beaches and great surroundings and you can catch the odd fish as well!
    Last edited by HolyGT; 17-04-15 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add info

I'm just commenting to say howzit Arno long time!

Haha selle Gerrit