Thread: Preferred hooks for LM flies?

Default Preferred hooks for LM flies?

Hi all

I don't have much experience with largies, and hope to change that this coming few months. I am looking at tying some flies for this purpose, and was wondering what hooks to buy.

What are you guys' thoughts on size, gauge, gape etc? Keeping in mind that I will be using my 7wt..

Thanks

Ryno

It's a no brainer use Gamakatsu B10s hooks in sizes 2,4 & 6.

Thanks Gerrit

A quick google search indeed shows the popularity of the B10S for a variety of species. Will try them out.

I would also try size 8 and 10 flies. Don't stop at size 6. Big fish sometimes eat quite small food. You can pretty much use any manufacturers hook, as largemouth are not too hard on hooks, and their mouths are not hard, so hook penetration isn't a problem.
    What type of flies are you going to be tying?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, will start with some woolly buggers, Gerrits toad, zonkers and perhaps some baitfish patterns.

I would prefer having only a few patterns, what would your top 3 or 4 flies include?

Default Double chocolate minnow

Get a bugger pattern like my Toad in black or similar and a baitfish pattern or two for example grey or tan or both and maybe olive and then work work work work no point in rocking up with 70 patterns and different sizes. See below for baitfish examples i.e Threespot Barb & Southermouth Brooder female / SM Yellow.

DCMBarb.jpg DCMSM.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 22-04-15 at 02:34 PM.

Yes all good flies. woolly buggers with long bushy tails will work, for maximum movement. my favourite are dark olive and black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Andre, will start with some woolly buggers, Gerrits toad, zonkers and perhaps some baitfish patterns.

I would prefer having only a few patterns, what would your top 3 or 4 flies include?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.