Thread: How old do Clanwilliams get?

Default How old do Clanwilliams get?

Anyone with any ideas on how old these guys get? Sexual maturity etc? Thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Anyone with any ideas on how old these guys get? Sexual maturity etc? Thanks
    60-70 years life expectancy.
    Might be more if you take into account that people don't make a U-Turn in front of you when you are returning from Innie Bos Festival - (Tolla Van Der Merwe)
    Sexual Maturity??? Thats a tough one as the term Virgin now refers to the ugliest girl in grade 4.

If you were referring to the Clanwilliam Yellows then I would say its the same as SM Yellows.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    If you were referring to the Clanwilliam Yellows then I would say its the same as SM Yellows.
    I would have thought closer to LM myself, but that is almost as wild a guess as the 1st portion of your post.

Anyone with a more "educated" guess or evidence?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The most useful reference I can find is:

Adults are omnivorous, feeding primarily on aquatic macro-invertebrates and algae (Van Rensburg, 1966). Paxton (in press) found them to
    be drift feeders in the warmer months in the Driehoeks River. Juveniles feed on small aquatic invertebrates. Age and growth studies of
    scales by Van Rensburg (1966) indicate that L. capensis [Clanwilliam Yellow Fish] is relatively slow growing, with one-, five-, and 10-year old specimens attaining 8.7 cm
    , 34 cm and 49.4 cm respectively. Anglers have caught specimens in excess of 90 cm and these could easily be more than 20 years old.

http://www.wrc.org.za/Knowledge%20Hu...nservation.pdf
    Last edited by MaLio; 04-05-15 at 03:17 PM.