Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Drakensberg and the Tenkara

Thanks for the kind replies guys.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Nice read, Koos. Thanks for sharing your journey....

Wow - Lekker trip! How much of your fishing was on Tenkara, Koos?

Morné

Out of 71 fish 5 were caught on Fly Rod.

Tuesday night I caught a decent fish whilst fishing some nymphs in a deep pool and Thursday I took 4 in the Kloof towards the Waterfall. The Kloof fishing was genuinely not planned. It was a spur of the moment thing. I honestly could have used the Tenkara here too and as soon as I went down into the Kloof I actually regretted taking the fly rod and not the Tenkara.

More than 90% of my fish came to hand whilst fishing the Tenkara. I am now considering leaving the fly rods at home on my next trip.

This was my last fish of the trip....

I fished the Tenkara without sun gloves, had shorts on, wading boots, hat and a fishing shirt with the camera and tippet in one pocket and the other one had a box of flies in it. This was the lightest I fished the whole trip. Surely won't last a full day in the sun without something to drink, but this was at last light and probably the most fun I had the whole trip.

nice thing about the 'berg, you can drink the water you are fishing (or at least i do)

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    This was my last fish of the trip....
    Surely won't last a full day in the sun without something to drink, but this was at last light and probably the most fun I had the whole trip.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    nice thing about the 'berg, you can drink the water you are fishing (or at least i do)
    I also do that, but I usually carry a bottle of Game on me and when thats up, I turn to the river.
    I did drink straight from the river a couple of times during my stay at Lotheni.

But the point I was trying to make is that we fish too heavy. Because if you have a backpack or vest you tend to carry a lot of junk that you don't need. You keep it because you might need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Deon
    It is simple to start.
    1. Email Streamx. sales@streamxflyfishing.co.za and find out what is available.
    2. Pay and get your rod delivered to your door.
    3. Head for the river and setup your kit
    4. Catch plenty of fish
    5. Go home a satisfied man.

There is really nothing to it, if you can fly fish you can do it. Casting is the same, it's just a whole lot simpler.
    Thought they were imported!! Silly me
    Saw it last year at cristiana when koos dragged his along

Liked the concept

Quote Originally Posted by Dion Gates View Post
    Thought they were imported!! Silly me
    Saw it last year at cristiana when koos dragged his along

Liked the concept
    That was a terrible fishing weekend. Please don't mention my name and Christiana in one sentence as we have not made peace yet.

That rod was in fact a Unagi Universal Tenkara and was rated to handle 6-8kg fish and more if you are experienced. That ability from a rod thats 12ft long and weighed a mere 75grams is mind blowing. Handled 6lb Maxima tippets very well when fishing for Yellows.

I need to replace that rod as it got stolen with my bakkie. I will replace it but I will also get the 14ft model. Also looking at a Tenkara in 14ft for stream fishing.

The Tenkara I currently use for Streams is a Tenkara USA Iwana in 12ft and you fish a 5X max tippet on it to protect the tip of the rod. If you fish a stream with small fish then a 6X is perfect but it becomes quite challenging when you hook into a 40cm plus fish. Its possible but you need to be sharp as a minora my broer.

Lets make a plan to fish the Vaal after winter and I will let you fool around with one of my rods. I heard that most things in life is like McDonalds and that you need to try it at least once to make your own mind up.
    Last edited by E.T.; 07-05-15 at 11:15 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345