Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bosnia World Champs - Protea Team 2015 need your support

It has to be said, wonder if they will remove all the beat markers at the end of the comp? :-)
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Normally the competitors take it home as souvenirs.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    It has to be said, wonder if they will remove all the beat markers at the end of the comp? :-)
    They recycle it to mark minefields
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    They recycle it to mark minefields
    Maybe if we wrote "World Champs" on our beat markers they would become more collectable?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hi guys,

The team have done lots of prep, learned some new techniques, tied many flies, didn't sleep much and are now booked in at the competition hotel. I am sure excitement levels are peaking, with all the top anglers from different countries in the world gathered in one location. They have caught some great fish in beautiful settings.

Wishing the team the best from SA!

Below some pics and extracts from messages.

10 Jun 21:52 - Matt Rich: The rest of the team just got back and are on such a high after an amazing day on Ribnik! Higlight was Everts Brown of over 50cm and 4lbs. My laptop is charging so we will get some pics up on Flytalk and Facebook a little later. Big numbers for everyone.

11 Jun 10:51 - Christiaan Pretorius: Rohan every year we go across you learn different styles... The smallest of changes makes the Worlds difference. Flies will definitely play a role seeing that you are only allowed one fly the sink rates will be crucial... The difficult decision though is do you stick to what you do well or do you try and master their technique a week before comp?! Tough call!

11 Jun 18:37 - Matt Rich: To try and explain the technique and how technical and specific the flies are, i would need to write a story longer than a Tolkien novel.

11 Jun 18:48 - Matt Rich: Then the flies are super specific for each river. AND those flies change shades and colour depending on the weather.

11 Jun 18:49 - Matt Rich: As you can tell, we have a bit of work to do. It takes 12-14hours of practice per day and then you need to get home and retie your whole flybox.

12 Jun 09:23 - Matt Rich: So we had our first early night last night, tied a few flies and got to bed at 12.30. 😐 Alarm went off at 7 and within 10mins we were back on the vices. After breakfast and a quick shower, we are back in the car to look at all of our competition setors. We will then have an afternoon session on Pliva river which is known to be the hardest of all the rivers.They say only true masters catch fish on Pliva and seeing that the Americans blanked on it yesterday, it will be the true test of whether we have this technique waxed or not.

12 Jun 11:30 - Christiaan Pretorius: Check this beauty John Tyzack from team England caught... Jaloers! Good luck brothers!

12 Jun 13:59 - Matt Rich: Sooooo second run in with the law. This time we learned that you always have to carry your passports with you wherever you go. Very friendly guys, but instead of lunch recommendations we got a R2500 fine and 2 hours of our practice time ruined. On the way back to the Hotel (who insisted on keeping our passports in the first place) to make copies for the immigration controllers. Fun times.

Still some raffle tickets for sale, to support the team, just click on the Protea Banner advertised on Fly Talk.

12 Jun 20:35 - Matt Rich: Well Pliva really lived up to its reputation. Rich got a nice brown on the nymphing technique and Evert and Dan respectively found a small rainbow and a brown on dry.

12 Jun 20:37 - Matt Rich: Time to hit the shower, grab some chow and get on the bench. We learned a lot today and now its time to translate that in ti ssome 'winner' flies!

Scoping out our stillwater sector on Pliva Lake,

12 Jun 21:02 - Daniel Factor: I saw a hucho over meter this afternoon, got a fright of my life..... still put a size 18 dry on his noise. .. think he was eyeing out my left foot

13 Jun 20:24 - Matt Rich: Hahaha been quiet!! Today is our tying day. Weve burned out close to 60 flies each today (well MC is a bit more anal and has only done 8 😌). Just got back from a little jog and a swim in the lake with Dan and now its time to get the next 60 done.

13 Jun 20:24 - Matt Rich: Tomorrow is Ribnik so expect some pics...

13 Jun 21:30 - Matt Rich: Do you guys want to see a pic of my flybox?

13 Jun 22:06 - Matt Rich: Once the comp is done, we will take some pics of the guides flies. Ours arent quite as good

Worlds Billboard

14 Jun 22:00 - Matt Rich: What an EPIC day! Best day on the rivers by far! We fished Ribnik again and hammered fish! We got massive greyling including my two biggest ever of 47cm and a 50cm! Our guide put almost 100 casts over a greyling and finally managed to land a 52.5cm on 8x an a sz22 nymph! We saw MASSIVE browns and I managed to hook two big boys, one of an estimated 5-6lb and another of 10-12lbs!! Crazy crazy crazy day!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast