Thread: Reddington Classic Trout rod

Default Reddington Classic Trout rod

Hi Guys

Im considering getting a Redington Classic Trout 5wt, as an all rounder i.e still water trout, bass, carp.

They get good reviews overseas but keen to hear local views.

Nice rod. I think you will be happy with it. I don't really know if the particular rod that you are choosing is in fact an all rounder, but it probably is. Check the rods functionality before you choose it as an all rounder so that you know that you will get what you want. For bass in particular, you need a stiff rod so that you can give a good strike for hook set, whereas for trout in a Stillwater, you perhaps require a more gentle approach and a sensitive rod to detect light takes. carp I cant tell you, as I have never actually caught one on fly...and hope that I never do :biggrin:
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    carp I cant tell you, as I have never actually caught one on fly...and hope that I never do :biggrin:
    flip you missing out.

Yes i suppose an all rounder is a bit optimistic.

the description on the rod is as follows "Designed especially for the trout angler. The moderate action of the rod provides the delicacy needed for technical spring creeks, yet packs enough power for big river and boat fishing. The lightweight blank and forgiving action reduces fatigue for long days on the water."

Hi Frogstar,

Why dont you try a fast action six wt also? In terms of all round versatility this would probably serve you better. Earlier the year I fished with a friend off his boat for Bass, he was fishing a 7Wt and I a 5Wt. The 7wt definitely handled wind and bigger flies a lot easier. Also found the fight on the 7wt not to be too bad if you are worried about just pulling fish out. So I can think a fast new 6Wt would perform quite well.

Good luck
    Cheers

But good luck in your search.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

I have a Classic Trout 8ft #4.
    It is a soft rod by today's standards. I love it and use it for dry flies and light nymphs on small streams. It excels at this.
    But I would not call it an allrounder. I wouldn't want to have to case too far or with heavily weighted nymphs.
    I haven't tried the #5 but I imagine its action is similar. I think you should look elsewhere if you want an allrounder.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by frogstar View Post
    flip you missing out.

Yes i suppose an all rounder is a bit optimistic.

the description on the rod is as follows "Designed especially for the trout angler. The moderate action of the rod provides the delicacy needed for technical spring creeks, yet packs enough power for big river and boat fishing. The lightweight blank and forgiving action reduces fatigue for long days on the water."
    I can agree, been recently introduced to Carping by Nepptune and shite, I think I have a problem...

I have a Redington 4WT, it is a two piece rod, but boy, I love this rod..
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I guess Im just a trout and yellowfish snob. Its not really the carp that I have a problem with, I suppose its more towards the places and the waters that one has to go to target them. I much prefer natural pristine environments. If there were such places where carp abound, I would probably convince myself to have a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I can agree, been recently introduced to Carping by Nepptune and shite, I think I have a problem...

I have a Redington 4WT, it is a two piece rod, but boy, I love this rod..
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes Andre convince yourself you wil not look back.
    Just one more cast.......... make it count ...........