Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Techniques on how to get the fly to sink more naturally...

Default Techniques on how to get the fly to sink more naturally...

For quite a while, when fishing conventionally for bass (yes, I used the "B" word ), I would thread a brass nut onto the hook, which would slide freely and re-adjust itself to rest on the belly of the hook so to speak. This would allow the bait to always sink horizontally as apposed to nose diving. I am a firm believer in triggers, especially those that add to mimicking natural behaviours of prey.

Nepptune and myself have been chatting about applying this technique to baitfish flies, especially streamer patterns and came up with a few ideas, in summary, Dre opted to tie the fly hook riding up which of course adds a bit of an advantage with regards to the fly being weedless. Then we tied in a loop of mono-filament and threaded some tungsten beads that can slide freely, the result is, this would aid in getting the fly to ride hook up and create a horizontal sink effect, which as mentioned adds a trigger to the fly. Also, for those dirtier waters, the free sliding beads create a rattle affect as well, for what it is worth.

I would like to know if anyone else has played around and what your opinions are. See the attached test pattern, again, not the neatest tie, but the desired sink pattern is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shamwari; 15-06-15 at 07:03 AM.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hi,

Thats a very neat idea.

Something I tried in terms of sink rate is to take a strand of lead wire and using a pair of sharp nose pliers, and squeze it flat, I then tied this directly to the underside of the hookshank instead of wrapping, considering a streamer will have a lot of body materials, dont think the bulkiness was a problem. Lead being quite heavy and easily pliable, you can use thinner strands, I used a think strand and the flie sank like a brick, which was not quite correct.

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xopg-SPFKA

Illustrates a similiar effect to what it seems you guys are trying to achieve and explains it way better. This is what I tried, but mine drops more like a anchor, can only hope it hits a fish and possibly causes a concussion.

Good luck
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Great stuff Ulrich.

My aim is to have a fly that sinks slowly and horizontally. Also, one can play around a bit, add mix of foam and weights to try get a suspending action or just tie a booby, ha ha
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I am not much of a kenner of material types but I believe the most important part would be in getting you distribution of materials correct. Just an example, when looking at you flie, wouldn't the zonker strip create resistance going down. By this I mean, the strip would take longer to sink than the rest of the flies, causing a effect of the tail being higher than the hook shank, which could cause your beads to slide forward on the mono, creating a dive bomber effect instead of a slow sink?

And like you say, if all else fails, you cant go wrong with Booby

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    I am not much of a kenner of material types but I believe the most important part would be in getting you distribution of materials correct. Just an example, when looking at you flie, wouldn't the zonker strip create resistance going down. By this I mean, the strip would take longer to sink than the rest of the flies, causing a effect of the tail being higher than the hook shank, which could cause your beads to slide forward on the mono, creating a dive bomber effect instead of a slow sink?

And like you say, if all else fails, you cant go wrong with Booby
    Valid points, I do think the zonker is too long, one could also glue the beads on the belly of the mono. Many variables I would think, good fun fooling around behind the vice.

Leka man.

The vice part is a lot of fun, I saw the vid myself and thought it would maybe make a great innovation on a possible Grunter Fly one day when I try it myself

As you say lots of variables, on the tail front maybe try a feather/hackle based tail like a lefty's deceiver or may even something like polar Fibre(absorbs water very quickly and should be less resistant than Zonker strip, but you would have to tie in quite a bit more to get the same profile as a Zonker Strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Leka man.

The vice part is a lot of fun, I saw the vid myself and thought it would maybe make a great innovation on a possible Grunter Fly one day when I try it myself

As you say lots of variables, on the tail front maybe try a feather/hackle based tail like a lefty's deceiver or may even something like polar Fibre(absorbs water very quickly and should be less resistant than Zonker strip, but you would have to tie in quite a bit more to get the same profile as a Zonker Strip.
    I saw a Dalhberg Diver tied with lava lace, with weights threaded through just like the example of mine, the result was slow sinking DD that rides hook up...

You must post the results once you start testing the flie, would be curious to get some feedback.

Cheers

Yoh...judging from the amount of replies to my thread, which was (is) an attempt to add value to the forum and prove to 'em haters that I do also tie flies and actually fish as apposed to just talking "Kilo Alpha Kilo", I guess no-one has tried this technique, or they don't give a "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" or I have ultimately caused too much "Kilo Alpha Kilo" by talking too much "Kilo Alpha Kilo" on KorrieTalk, ag, I mean Fly talk...

Anyways, I will test this idea out and hopefully catch a fish so that I can squeeze it like a Fat Kid holding a Tinkie for that desired and obsessed about Hero Shot...

Zaka Naka, Shala Mushy Penga Huku!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Zaka Naka
    Zaka Naka ... that sounds cool!! Will use that randomly from now on
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast