Thread: Bluegill Pond - Western Cape

Default Bluegill Pond - Western Cape

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help.

Does anyone know of any good public access ponds/farm dams in the Western Cape, preferably within close proximity of the Northern Suburbs that carries a good stock of BlueGill?

I only know of Klein Bottelary, but the bluegill there are bit shy at the moment and they seem to be hanging around in the deep.

Reason I am asking is my Father showed some interest in fishing with "daai klein goggas" as he called them and Bluegill being pretty gung ho, I thought a place like this might be ideal to try and catch something and maybe try and show him some basics. I am hoping catching something small and aggressive on an light rod could show him the fun side of flyfishing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

I remember many years ago, the old Dewdale farm had lots of bluegill in their ponds. In the hot summer months when the trout were off, there was fun to be had with the bluegill. Nowadays, I really have no idea where to go for these fish, but Im sure there must be plenty around.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hillcrest quarry and 2 dams in Durbanville.
    WIll give you a call
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks korrie.

Was going to suggest Klein Bottelary till you mentioned it - they have some big ones in that dam!

We used to catch them using small nymphs (#16 ptn/zak will work) about 50-100cm under an indicator/dry fly - just chuck it out and leave it - no retrieve. If nothing for a few minutes, cast somewhere else.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Thanks Grant,

I have gone there quite a few times over the last year, they do have some good sized ones there. When I have limited time, its a nice place simply to test a leader or some casting with the odd bonus of a few bites included.

My best day there was still right after the Bass spawning period, with a size 12 Zulu. They went quite mad(My assumption was they thought it was fry) and was a very nice 3 hours This is the kind of thing I want to show my father, fun with even small fish, nothing fancy, just some sports.

I will try your suggestion of the fly under an indicator.

Thanks