Thread: Good over night destination in kzn midlands

Default Good over night destination in kzn midlands

Greetings all,

I hope you are all well. I am looking for recommendations on a good over night destination in kzn, somewhere in the underberg/camberg area, recommended in terms of good fishing, ha ha ha, don't really care about the accommodation, provided it's comfortable, and safe...itching to get the line wet, and have two weeks off coming up end of June.

Thanks in advance, have a great weekend.

Guido

The rivers will be closed, so you will be restricted to still water.If you are going to stay and fish for more than a week, it might be worth your while to join the NFFC , pick a central location, and fish their waters from there. I can recommend "sheltered vale" http://shelteredvale.co.za . I have stayed there a few times with the family, and it is good value for money. From there you have 7 or 8 top class still waters to choose from, all within a 20 min drive. If you consider to take this route, let me know, and I will give you more info on the fishing options.
    catch and release

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    The rivers will be closed, so you will be restricted to still water.If you are going to stay and fish for more than a week, it might be worth your while to join the NFFC , pick a central location, and fish their waters from there. I can recommend "sheltered vale" http://shelteredvale.co.za . I have stayed there a few times with the family, and it is good value for money. From there you have 7 or 8 top class still waters to choose from, all within a 20 min drive. If you consider to take this route, let me know, and I will give you more info on the fishing options.
    Thank you very much for the reply Paul J, ironically enough, that has been my plan all along, I have not lived in south africa for a long time, but am partially moving back to the natal midlands, I am meeting with Jim as soon as I get down to Natal to finalise the membership. I plan on doing a fair amount of fishing down there in the future. I haven't fished the area for quiet some time, so am not up to date on the good fishing waters. The last time i fished the area properly was around 15 years ago, I would imagine quiet a bit has changed. I will take a look at the place you mentioned above, and possibly use that as a base.

Not all the rivers are closed. If you stay at a riverside lodge, that offers fly fishing, the chances are that they will allow it all year round. There isn't a law about season closure, its purely on the cognisance of the landowner, or the organisation that controls fishing rights, and in the Midlands there are many locations that are available all year round, depending on where you stay.
    My first thought about the end of June for you though, is that if you haven't found accommodation by now, you might struggle, but there are literally hundreds of places, so a little homework might find a good place for you to get some river and Stillwater action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Greetings all,

I hope you are all well. I am looking for recommendations on a good over night destination in kzn, somewhere in the underberg/camberg area, recommended in terms of good fishing, ha ha ha, don't really care about the accommodation, provided it's comfortable, and safe...itching to get the line wet, and have two weeks off coming up end of June.

Thanks in advance, have a great weekend.

Guido
    I've got a fishing cottage at the bottom of my garden that I rent out.
    https://www.facebook.com/bhaile.aisling
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    I've got a fishing cottage at the bottom of my garden that I rent out.
    https://www.facebook.com/bhaile.aisling
    Wow that looks amazing. That's living the life most of us dream of.

Looks slightly better than the Knackered Swan hey Jean :-) JC, looks like I need to come visit!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Looks slightly better than the Knackered Swan hey Jean :-) JC, looks like I need to come visit!

Just a bit

Next year April?

Sounds good
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes