Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fly reel drag materials and drag design

Default fly reel drag materials and drag design

Maybe I haven't informed myself properly but it seems that all of the top fly reels still use a single disc cork drag. Is there any reason that no one has designed a multi disc carbontex drag for a fly reel? Carbontex is at least as smooth as cork if you grease it properly and it doesn't require nearly as much maintenance as cork. A multi disc system also decreases the stress on each friction washer and probably minimises heat build up during a long run. Certainly it spreads the heat better. I haven't put a huge amount of thought into the actual design of the drag and I don't know fly reel drags like I know multiplyer drags so their might be a reason a multi disc system isn't possible with a fly reel. Anyone have any insights?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Ha! I like your thinking but reckon carbontex may be overkill for 99% of fly fishing applications. Agree though- an upgraded carbontex system can't be matched.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Maybe I haven't informed myself properly but it seems that all of the top fly reels still use a single disc cork drag. Is there any reason that no one has designed a multi disc carbontex drag for a fly reel? Carbontex is at least as smooth as cork if you grease it properly and it doesn't require nearly as much maintenance as cork. A multi disc system also decreases the stress on each friction washer and probably minimises heat build up during a long run. Certainly it spreads the heat better. I haven't put a huge amount of thought into the actual design of the drag and I don't know fly reel drags like I know multiplyer drags so their might be a reason a multi disc system isn't possible with a fly reel. Anyone have any insights?
    The top reels use stacked disc systems. Charlton, Hatch etc

This is more aimed at the saltwater scene. I don't reckon its overkill for any offshore or GT fishing. One of the major points though is how smooth it is which has applications everywhere. The smoother your drag is the tighter you can make it without fear of a slight startup shock breaking your tippet. The only drag material as smooth is cork and quite frankly you have to look after it way more carefully than carbontex. I think carbontex is just more suited to a salt environment.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    The top reels use stacked disc systems. Charlton, Hatch etc
    Ok well thats one question answered. Thanks. Any idea what material they use for the friction washers?

How about strapping a set of Bugatti Veyron carbon ceramic disct brakes.

Interesting... one question I have....What maintenance does cork require that any other disc material wont require. I have used cork drag reels for years and have never done anything to maintain the cork. What should I be doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If it they can stop a 2 ton car at 400+, surely they can stop a GT :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Interesting... one question I have....What maintenance does cork require that any other disc material wont require. I have used cork drag reels for years and have never done anything to maintain the cork. What should I be doing?
    Cork is fine for smaller fish. When you get to serious fish, stacked disc comes into play. Ruolon, stainless steel and many other engineering plastomers are used as disc materials. Cork requires Neat's Foot oil lubrication, otherwise it will burn out on a big fish. Been there, done that.

I thought that the whole thing about cork, is that it doesn't burn, and dissipates heat quicker than any other material. Granted, I have never had to deal with a "serious fish", but I always was under the impression that cork was great. I basically sold my big Abels because they were never actually used properly.

Below, is copied and pasted from the Abel site.... (I thought as much.. as I was told never to lubricate the cork)

Q.What should I do after use in saltwater?
    A.If on a saltwater trip, simply rinse the reel in freshwater after each day on the water. When you get back home rinse the reel in running lukewarm water, and take a toothbrush to the 90-degree angles i.e. foot, counterweight, handle, etc. It’s also a good idea to spray it with WD-40, and wipe it clean with a paper towel. WD-40 will not harm your flyline, backing, or mono. It is not necessary to lubricate the cork on the drag plate. This only needs to be done if it does not feel just as smooth as a brand new reel. Please see our easy care-instructions for additional details: reel-care.htm

Q.What type of maintenance is required on my Abel reel?
    A.See the above answer regarding saltwater use. If the reel squeaks when line is pulled out, or if the drag is not smooth, apply a few drops of pure neat’s-foot oil to the cork on the drag plate. The neat’s-foot oil, and all other lubricants needed to maintain your reels, knives, pliers and tools are assembled in our Sportsman’s Lube Kit: lube.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Cork is fine for smaller fish. When you get to serious fish, stacked disc comes into play. Ruolon, stainless steel and many other engineering plastomers are used as disc materials. Cork requires Neat's Foot oil lubrication, otherwise it will burn out on a big fish. Been there, done that.
    Last edited by Andre; 01-06-15 at 10:20 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast