Thread: Broken hooks

Default Broken hooks

Hi Guys.

Please help. I'm new to tying and was trying to tie a size 18 PTN and of the 4 I attempted, I managed to break 2 hooks during the final whip finish.

So what am I doing wrong or does this happen sometimes?

They were Gamakatsu S10 2x so they not rubbish hooks.

Any advise?

Thanks
    Grant

Thats very odd.Unless you usuing too thick or strong a thread and pulling just too hard.

It would help some if you could tell us where the hooks are breaking Is it at the bottom of the bend or half way round?

Corefly is right in that being too passionate about getting a tight Whip Finish can mean you are flexing the shank and this could cause the break.

Another thing that can cause some hooks to fail is that you are putting too much pressure on the part of the hook clamped in the vice then flexing while Whip Finishing would cause it to snap.

It could be that the hooks have not been tempered after hardening and are brittle.

Whatever the cause I am sure you will get around it and tie many more flies without any hook failures. Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Also when you are pulling it tight, which direction are you pulling? If you are pulling towards yourself it would be easier to break the hook. You should be pulling straight down, as in towards the hook point.
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Thanks guys and will take that all in.

FYI the Hooks broke mid bend i.e. where it was clamped on the top side. My vise is very old so the grip head is big and round and definitely not a narrow point like the vices I see these days, so maybe that is also playing a part as it's held tight with only one section that can move. So I guess it's like cutting off copper wire by moving it back and forth at a single point.

Will be less forceful in future and see how it goes.

Using less wraps will also help with the stress on a single point but that is something I just need to learn to do.