Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handling tigers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Handling tigers

So this is ongoing from the tailing trout thread. I see many photos with bogas that have pierced tigerfish jaws. Is this OK? I wouldve expected you would try to avoid that. But in every second photo the boga is through the tigerfish jaw? And the guy is holding the tigerfish, pulling his jaw open with the boga to the back and through his jaw.

image10.jpg

Like these

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    image10.jpg

Like these
    One should be careful handling Tigers, especially if in India
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Ouch. Thats not good. A boga through the fish's lower jaw is going to hurt it, no doubt. Tigers are actually quite fragile in the mouth, and this treatment is seriously negligent.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, even in the tcff there are pictures like that in several of the adds.

Still doesnt make it ok. Tigers are fragile fish, and bogas , unless used correctly, can be harmful. The handling of the fish in this picture is causing it harm. Unfortunatly, tigers are very at risk because they are toothy, and there are very few other options open to people to handle them. Bogas need to be used correctly, and even some professional guides don't know the correct use of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Andre, even in the tcff there are pictures like that in several of the adds.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Next time look inside the moth of a tiger. Does if have a natural slit in it's lower jaw to slide a boga in?

Think you'll find the answer is NO.

Forcing the boga through the bottom soft film is wrong wrong wrong and it's a real shame the "the money shot" has to include the usual " look how big its mouth and teeth are".

It's just stupid and unnecessary and you are simply creating a tear in it's mouth. The only thing it uses to eat now has a big gash in it so you can get a photo that everyone will forget in 5 seconds and move on to the next story on Facebook.

It is not that difficult to take a pic without injuring the fish or using a boga grip. I had this pic taken with a tiger of 15lb (not small) and we did not have a boga grip. The fish was weighed in the net, lifted out, quick pic and released unharmed.100_0288b.jpg

This is much better, although the fish in the photo could still flap suddenly, and get dropped. Im not sure however, what the solution is with tigerfish. It would be good if an experienced guide could come on and tell us.
    I have seen a tigerfish rip its own mouth to shreds. It was being held with a boga, supported very well under the body, then all of a sudden it started flapping violently, and caused its own damage....Whose at fault there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappies View Post
    It is not that difficult to take a pic without injuring the fish or using a boga grip. I had this pic taken with a tiger of 15lb (not small) and we did not have a boga grip. The fish was weighed in the net, lifted out, quick pic and released unharmed.100_0288b.jpg

there is a groove below and inside the lower jawbone which you can slide your fingers into very nicely and get a solid grip on the fish with your thumb on the outside of the lower jawbone. This is a very solid way to hold them and they dont flap easily.

Only problem is, if you posted a pic of it, it looks like you are holding it in the gills, and then you would have the same thread as this one started because people dont know about that way to grip it.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast