Thread: Overweight fly lines.

Default Overweight fly lines.

I am in the market for a 9# line for a Sage VXP which I want to use for poppers and wind resistant flies. When looking at the tapers of the fly lines I would choose for coldwater saltwater use, I find the following weights of the fly lines that I am looking at;
    Scientific Anglers Coldwater Redfish WF9F - 260 grains
    Rio Coldwater Outbound short WF9F - 375 grains
    Rio Coldwater Outbound Long WF9F = 375 grains

The recommended weight for a 9# line is 240 grains so will my number 9 rod cope with these, in the case of the Rio lines, 50% heavy than the AFTM recommended weights or do I downsize in fly lines for my rod?

Your experiences and comments would be most appreciative as I am not in a position to test lines on the rod = I buy via mail order living 450kms from the nearest fly shop.
    Robin

Hey mate,

FWIW - most of the modern fly rods these days are built to a tolerance not seen in the olden days.
    The AFTM is an outdated system introduced in the 60's I believe to try standardise the industry based on line weight for the first 30ft of line. (I'm sure there will be experts on this and add to it.)

The modern specs on rods are far beefier than those from years past.
    Just look at the weight of shooting heads you are able to throw nowadays.

Coming back to your question, I would not hesitate for a minute to put one of the RIO lines on your stick.
    Good choice by the way - they are killer lines!

Incidentally, RIO designed lines (Outbound short shooting heads) 2 weights heavier than the excellent outbound shorts to specifically load the modern rods about 2 years ago from memory, and they are the leaders in flylines and development. They definitely know what they are doing and are at the cutting edge of technology.

That's my take and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to load up.

Theres no reason why your rod shouldn't cope with it. The line weight is only based on the first 30 feet, or thereabouts. The more line that you earialise in false casts, the slower the rod will perform anyway due to a longer line out the rod tip, and therefore more weight. Best is to see how the line performs and if you cant chuck a full line with that rod in about a few false casts, then somethings not right.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the replies - the weights quoted from the Rio specs is for the belly part of the taper. I am just waiting for a reply from Rio to see what they say. Line and hook sizes are a minefield now days with no standardisation which I feel the industry needs.
    Kevin, what size outbounds are you using and on what rods just to get an idea?

Chris from Rio Fly Lines emailed me and advised that one should have no problems using the designated size lines for the same designated size rod and to treat the Outbound series as a shooting head when casting.When I receive the line. I will update.

Quote Originally Posted by white death View Post
    Kevin, what size outbounds are you using and on what rods just to get an idea?
    I'm fishing SAGE TCX and some of the earlier model rods (RPLXi and XI3) mostly in 8 and 10 weight for salt.
    The Outbound lines I simply match up with weight of rod.

WF10 F/I Tropical on my 10 weight.
    Ditto for the 8 weight.

It's just like casting a shooting head really.