Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: cheap line vs quality line

The really cheap lines often cast horribly and can have a huge impact on cating but like the guys say. Line is not everything but it can make a huge difference. I think I would rather have a cheap rod and a premium line if it was one or the other.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    . I think I would rather have a cheap rod and a premium line if it was one or the other.
    Yes, I agree a hundred percent, a line suited to the fishing application is also important.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

A cheap line kills you with memory most of the time - just about always. You can have the sweetest action in your cast, but the line will bugger it up for you. The worst of them is the ones you get in the combo set-ups. Buy a cheap rod and even a cheeper reel, but don't skim on the line. Trying to learn to cast with a cheap line is a hassle you don't need and I believe that is one of the big reasons some people buy the set-up, dont get the hang of it and then never tries the sport again.

Might be different on the Vaal where you don't need to turn over a fly or where the presentation does not matter to much?

Eish daai laasste sin van jou maak my hart seer.

Sorry Gerrit, bedoel daai wat jy op die klip staan en die twee vliegge by jou laat verby dryf, nie verder as 5 m, lyn optel en weer voor neersit totdat die lyn om die moddevis se lyf draai en jy dalk die ding aan die stert haak! :biggrin: Of waar jy nie eers agterkom as jou strike indicator nie meer dryf nie. Aanvaar seblief my verskoning oor my veralgemening ten opsigte van visvang in die Vaal!

Nee man ek weet trek jou been.

Ai, mis ek nou die Vaal. Tyd dat ek weer daai kant n draai moet maak.

ahhh,yes sinking line is a whole different story Sam..

Agree with you Sir. With my 8' 4", 3 Weight Orvis Access with a 3 Weight floating line I can not get that distance, but it is not too far off. Maybe 20 to 25 feet off. I'm not claiming to be a master caster, which I'm not, I just wanted to point out that with a very decent line and a lot of practice you can achieve some decent cast's.

Trust me, you are a master caster. To be able to get a full line out the rod, with any rod and line, without single or double hauling... youre a master. I wouldn't have thought that possible. I have been fly fishing for more than 30 years and have never seen this done without hauling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_981 View Post
    Agree with you Sir. With my 8' 4", 3 Weight Orvis Access with a 3 Weight floating line I can not get that distance, but it is not too far off. Maybe 20 to 25 feet off. I'm not claiming to be a master caster, which I'm not, I just wanted to point out that with a very decent line and a lot of practice you can achieve some decent cast's.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast