Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: New 5wt 9ft..

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Hi Zoran

AS far as I know the XII is a salt rod so it will be much stiffer than what I am looking for can you give me an idea of price.
    OK, I'll send you some proposal.
    But how is that funny .
    When talking about carbon rods, especially in #6 weight , I have them :Sage TCR , Sage Xii , David Norwich , and used to have for a very short time Sage TCX .
    So, Sage Xii , compared with another above 3 rods , looks not soft of course, but I would say pretty medium action , since another ones are really fast.

Another thing with epic rods , aside of technology, resins, shapes etc is unbelieving , fast recovery .
    A long time ago I stopped to pay attention how producers label their rods -slow, medium fast etc ...It means nothing to me .
    The main parameter is RECOVERY .The time rod tip needs to get back to rod straight position (RSP) after maximum bending and after shoot-out.

That recovery is what makes the difference in loop shapes and consistency , ie in quality casting.

I do not want to mention the brands and rod names, but lots of carbon ,very stiff rods, with SLOW (!!!yes you hear it very well) recovery .
    Those rods could be described as stiff , but sluggish .

The next parameter , also very important is rod tip bouncing ,which going together with recovery .
    There is no sense to have very fast recovery ,if my rod tip is wobbling (ie -bouncing few times until get to stable RSP) half minute :wink:
    One can know about bouncing by checking bottom loop leg .If there is a waves - that's it , your rod is bouncer .
    Of course all of this under assumption that caster is not the one who causes the bouncing by too much hard stop, followed by too stiff grip -which is ideal for making waves.

So, Epic glass rods, for some reason , I do not know which reasons, ask Carl , have incredibly fast recovery having in mind they are still "slow" and "soft" comparing to carbon sticks.
    Epic rods cause minimal bouncing , this is another big thing.
    Ask Dave Weaver from Harismith , what was his reaction after first cast with my Salsa #580 .
    He said , quote :" This is the first rod I'm casting and I do not have that wave in my loop bottom leg "
    And he have quit a few nice carbon rods, plus he is really excellent caster.
    Me too, for some reason I always have that very small, but still there, wave in the loop, and after so many years I couldn't get rid of it .

That wave is simply not there with Epic's anymore.

Fast recovery and bounce-less rod, which is incredibly smooth , progressive and pleasant for casting short or long distances, joined by fact that I can go down 2 or even 3 tippet sizes , was enough to switch on fast glass.
    But that feeling is the main thing ..cannot be described ...

And maybe I have to repeat it again, even I introduced Epic's in SA , even I connected Carl and Derek, -I do not have any commercial affiliation or interest in Epic Swift Fishing Co.) business.

Maybe when I get retired one day
    Last edited by Zoran; 01-07-15 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I think Stealth are still the agents.
    yes but where can i get my hands on one to cast?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Does anyone have experience with the gloomis NRX in 5wt?

Hi monster i owned and fished the 5wt NRX for a month before i sold it...i prefer med fast to entry fast rods...at the time i had the orvis h2,the scott radian and the nrx...when you compare those rods to the nrx there is a big difference...the orvis and the scott have this superlite feel to them when casting and load at most distances...both amazing rods...i felt the nrx 5wt was heavy and very tiresome to cast...it is very stiff but it has amazing power...the nrx lp was released soon after the nrx and its a much bigger improvement...the strange thing is the nrx 8wt is so incredible to fish and cast...the 5wt feels like a 6wt...hope this helps

This helps. I bought a 5wt NRX for 6k yesterday.and needed some background. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    yes but where can i get my hands on one to cast?

Hi gkieser,

Try Mavungana in Illovo, although I saw they only had a 4-weight 9' at the store to try out.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10