Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: New 5wt 9ft..

Yes Greys is value for money. I bought the gr30 a week ago for R1300. My brother silver shadows, bought the xf2 streamflex for R2400 awhile back, and I think if you google the xf2 streamflex you'll find it to be an award winner in price range at some stage. IM writing as a very lowly fingerling, of course, but seriously have a look at greys.
    Last edited by Navi; 24-06-15 at 06:31 AM.

The helios 2 is ok to cast and fish.The sage method is too stiff for my likes.The Loomis NRX is a clunker in my opinion,it feels heavy in the hand and for me the worst of the bunch in top end 5's.

The Radian is the best fishing and casting rod ive ever owned.It is fast but with a deeper flex.The Greys rods are fantastic for the price.Great performers.

I agree with everything in your first paragraph. I don't know the Radian, but Im keen to know what "deeper flex " means, can you explain this please.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    The helios 2 is ok to cast and fish.The sage method is too stiff for my likes.The Loomis NRX is a clunker in my opinion,it feels heavy in the hand and for me the worst of the bunch in top end 5's.

The Radian is the best fishing and casting rod ive ever owned.It is fast but with a deeper flex.The Greys rods are fantastic for the price.Great performers.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I fish the st.Croix legend elite and let me tell you this is a gem of a rod.Not sure of current prices but back then they were half the price of the sage rods.The plus is also explorer are the agents for St.croix so the backup from them is good.Give one a cast,you will be pleasantly surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Unless you are an expert caster for that money I would rather go for the G Loomis NRX. Proven quality. Won every award going for the last few years.

I have cast (and fished) many rods but none compare with this and if you shop around you could save yourself R3 - 4K
    Bryan i think youre refering to the Loomis NRX LP,not the standard NRX?

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I fish the st.Croix legend elite and let me tell you this is a gem of a rod.Not sure of current prices but back then they were half the price of the sage rods.The plus is also explorer are the agents for St.croix so the backup from them is good.Give one a cast,you will be pleasantly surprised
    A few year's back I was in a flyshop in West Yellowstone who were St Croix stockists. I got chatting to the owner and he asked me which rod I was using. My reply was "Sage XP 9' 5wt". He acknowledged the prowess of this rod and showed me a certificate of service from Sage which he had mounted to the wall. Apparently he had worked for Sage and had been instrumental in the development of some of their rods. He had subsequently left Sage and had joined St Croix in the same role. He picked up a St Croix (I forget which one) which he stated was "as close to dammit a Sage XP" at half the price.

I must be honest, I struggle with fast rods. I think they are ok in the heavier rod class, where long casts are necessary with large flies, but up to a 5 or 6 wt, I fail to see the point. Softer middle action rods are far better in my opinion. softer rods have far more feel and sensitivity which allows for more subtle fishing, and for shorter technical casts. They are also able to make full line casts anyway. On the whole, I think that fast rods are generally overrated, and take very little else into account, other than casting. Don't get me wrong, casting is a very important part of fishing, but when a rod is said to be "great", just because it bombs out a line at lightening speed, then I have to seriously question how much fishing, as opposed to casting, was considered in the original purchase of the rod.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I agree with everything in your first paragraph. I don't know the Radian, but Im keen to know what "deeper flex " means, can you explain this please.
    Hi Andre
    I mean to say that althought the radian is fast in action,when you cast it it flexes deeper into the blank.Its more med-fast than fast in my opinion.You can feel the rod load and unload unlike the stiffer Method etc

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    A few year's back I was in a flyshop in West Yellowstone who were St Croix stockists. I got chatting to the owner and he asked me which rod I was using. My reply was "Sage XP 9' 5wt". He acknowledged the prowess of this rod and showed me a certificate of service from Sage which he had mounted to the wall. Apparently he had worked for Sage and had been instrumental in the development of some of their rods. He had subsequently left Sage and had joined St Croix in the same role. He picked up a St Croix (I forget which one) which he stated was "as close to dammit a Sage XP" at half the price.
    Hi Neil
    Id love to cast the st croix elite,have heard great thing about this rod

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Bryan i think youre refering to the Loomis NRX LP,not the standard NRX?
    Correct. Not the one with the horrible green/teal wraps... I have the newer one in a 6wt and that rod is awesome. Weight in the hand is not everything to me, the action is simply superb and it "fishes well". Dont know the Helios but the Method may cast great but it is just too much hard work.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast