Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: New 5wt 9ft..

On the website www.fibreglassflyrodders.com they do indeed discuss the first Sage rods which were made of S glass and designated SFL. They also discuss the original name, Winslow, which was changed to Sage as it was too close to Winston.

The Winslow GFL was the very first rods produced in 1980 according to some other sites. The SFL from 1981.
    There was a site where someone contacted Sage to find out. Will try and find it.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    The Winslow GFL was the very first rods produced in 1980 according to some other sites. The SFL from 1981.
    There was a site where someone contacted Sage to find out. Will try and find it.
    Found it - I saw it here.
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...ge-rods.83414/

Does someone know who sells Gloomis fly rods?

Ganis, Mias & Mavungana but Rapala are the distributor so if you know what you want, theoretically anyone with an existing Rapala supply should be able to order for you.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Seeing that I have built and fished a fair number of glass rods over the past 2.5 years I'd count myself too yes. Am I as good a fisherman and caster as Zoran, no, I'm not - but I know what I know. From cheap E-glass, cheap S-glass, also cheap S2-glass (yes, you can get them for $150) and then the pricey S2-glass, I have handled them all over the past 2.5 years, and they are ALL great fishing tools!!
    Mario has made the point I (sans diplomacy) was trying to - glass can be highly effective and I think in a head-to-head comparison using traditional trouting methods (upstream dries and single nymphs at less than 10m) good glass in practice will easily hold it's own against graphite. If you need to buck wind and fish very light tippets it may even be better - 8'6" 5wt + 4wt line + 7x tippets totally practical with glass.

Off course this is exactly how Tony Biggs fished the Cape streams - with an old Orvis 5wt graphite (Far & Fine) and a 4wt line. The F&F is probably a very similar rod to one of the new Fast Glass sticks so what was old has become new again.

The essential joy of fly fishing is the action of casting and casting a good glass fly rod is a delight in the way that is somehow missing from most the graphites I've owned and fished. When I cast Zoran's 2nd 5wt EPIC (after buying it off him) I was grinning like an idiot. Bottom line if you like slower graphite you owe it too yourself to try a glass rod.

All that said if I'm standing on a Strand reef chasing leeries in a SE I'm going to be slinging a graphite...I love glass but I'll only use it where I feel it has the edge over graphite (fun factor included).

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Ganis, Mias & Mavungana but Rapala are the distributor so if you know what you want, theoretically anyone with an existing Rapala supply should be able to order for you.
    You sure? I thought I heard they lost the agency or maybe I'm thinking about Minn Kota.

There is one thing which cannot be measured and analysed..
    I am referring pleasure of casting , ie loading, unloading, catapulting ....no plastic rod can even get close to Epic Fast Glass...
    Epic rod directly brings you to the essence of Fly Casting and fly presentation ....
    But this is me , you might like another feeling...

Sage was called "Winslow" from 1978 to 1980, and then Sage was founded. Lean to read before you walk away shaking your head, you might learn something.
    Quote Originally Posted by lacustris View Post
    Is that from the Sage official website? Or is it someone's personal website?

Please send a letter to Sage and tell them their recorded history on their website is indeed wrong according to someone else's personal site.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/our-story/
    Last edited by Andre; 30-06-15 at 04:43 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes it is, isn't it. I took it straight from a website about rod building techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    This is pure gold
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast